Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for Aid

How is financial aid eligibility determined?

The FAFSA formula generates a number called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is comprised of a Parent Contribution and a Student Contribution. This is the amount, based on the federal formula, which your family is expected to pay towards college costs. Each student’s financial need is determined by subtracting the EFC from the cost of education at CSB/SJU. While CSB/SJU cannot guarantee to meet 100% of every student’s financial need, CSB/SJU will do their best to provide financial aid to eligible applicants through a combination of federal and state grants, institutional grants, student employment and loans.

There are optional unsubsidized loan programs, which are available to help fund the EFC.

Is the information that I provide in my financial aid application kept private?

CSB and SJU comply with federal and state privacy laws and regulations. The data in your file may be released to your parents (if you are considered a dependent by financial aid guidelines), financial aid donors, lenders, and the colleges’ offices needing the information for awarding or advising. No one else, however, may review your file without your written consent or a subpoena or court order.

When will I receive my financial aid award for next year?

Returning students are encouraged to complete the CSB/SJU Institutional Aid Application and the FAFSA immediately after filing their federal tax returns. The priority deadline for completing these forms is May 15th of each year. Starting in early June, financial aid offers are mailed to students with a complete financial aid application.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA online?

Yes. You can access the FAFSA online at:

How do I report special circumstances that might influence my family’s ability to pay for my educational expenses?

Students with special circumstances should contact the Financial Aid Office.

How is financial aid applied to my student account?

If all requirements are complete, institutional scholarships and grants will automatically be applied to your account at the rate of 50% for fall semester and 50% for spring semester prior to the first billing for each term.

Assuming that you have completed the appropriate forms for the Federal Direct Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, and alternative loans, the funds are usually electronically wired to your student account prior to the start of each semester.

Student employment earnings will be applied to your off-campus bank account as they are earned each month. If you want all or a portion of your student employment earnings applied to your student account, you must complete a payroll deduction form.

Do CSB/SJU offer a discount for more than one child enrolled at their school?

No. CSB/SJU do not have any targeted grant or scholarship funds for multiple siblings enrolled at the same time. However, the federal formula automatically takes this into consideration and students with more than one family member enrolled in college often receive more financial assistance.


How will outside scholarships affect my financial aid?

As required by federal regulations, the award from the college may be reduced to reflect additional resources such as outside scholarships. Grants or scholarships from the college will not be reduced unless the total of all awards exceeds the cost of attendance. Instead the student’s loans and/or student employment award may need to be adjusted.

Can my academic scholarships be increased if my grades improve?

The dollar amount of academic scholarships is determined by a competitive ranking within the first year applicant pool at the time the student applies for admission to CSB+SJU. These scholarships are four year renewable scholarships and cannot be adjusted.

Does CSB/SJU offer athletic scholarships?

Since CSB and SJU are Division III schools, NCAA regulations prohibit athletic scholarships.


Can I receive a MN Grant if I graduated from a MN high school, but now my parents and I are residents of another state?

Yes, you meet the eligibility criteria for a MN Grant because you graduated from a MN High School.

How will dropping a class affect my Minnesota Grant?

MN Grant recipients must carry 15 credits per term to receive the maximum grant. Funding at 12, 13, or 14 credits is prorated. Call the Financial Aid Office to check your funding if you plan to enroll for less than 15 credits.

Student Employment

How do I get a job and how will it affect Financial Aid?

All job openings are listed on the CSB/SJU Student Employment Jobs Website.

Only eligible students are authorized to look for work at certain times during the year. A username and password may be required to access the website.

All students are eligible to be placed on the waiting list. Contact the Financial Aid Office to have your name placed on the waiting list. You will be notified when you are authorized to look for employment on campus.

Work awards are included in your financial aid package. It sometimes is necessary to reduce Federal subsidized loans to make room for a work award. Please contact the student employment administrator on your campus to find out specifically how the addition of a work award will affect your financial aid.

Study Abroad

How will my financial aid be affected if I study abroad?

The Financial Aid Office will be notified by the Office of Education Abroad if you plan to study abroad. Students participating on CSB/SJU semester study abroad programs are eligible to keep the same financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans) as they would receive during a semester on-campus. Students attending CSB/SJU study-abroad programs pay the same tuition, room and board that they would if they stayed on campus. Some study abroad programs may have an additional fee depending on the cost of the program. The Office of Education Abroad has information on which programs have the additional fee. Loans are available to assist students in paying for the additional expenses (airfare, personal expenses, etc.) to study abroad. Some scholarships are available through outside sources and are listed on the Center for Global Education website.

Students who plan to study abroad through a short-term program (May for example) should check with the Financial Aid Office about available financing options. Scholarships are not available from CSB/SJU for short-term programs and in general, students must be taking at least 6 credits to qualify for loans.

What if I study abroad through a different college?

Charges for study abroad programs not affiliated with CSB/SJU will vary. Students may contact that study abroad organization to determine the costs for tuition, fees, room, board and other expenses for external programs. In some cases, students participating in a program offered through another educational institution may be eligible to keep federal or state grants through an arrangement called a consortium agreement.

To begin this process, students must complete the External/Consortium Study Abroad Application.

CSB/SJU grants and scholarships may not be used for external study abroad programs.

Transferring/Senior Students

I am going to transfer next semester, how will this affect my financial aid?

Students transferring after fall semester will not receive any of the financial aid scheduled for spring semester. In addition, all student loans will be returned to the lender. Students will need to re-apply for financial aid through the school they will be attending. Contact the transfer school’s Financial Aid Office for details and assistance in applying for aid.

If you are transferring at the end of the school year, your CSB/SJU financial aid for the current award year will not be affected.

If you borrowed a Federal Direct Loan or a Federal Perkins Loan, you will need to complete a loan deferment form to insure that your loans will not go into repayment. Contact the Financial Aid Office for instructions on completing a deferment form.

I’ll be graduating in December, how will this affect my financial aid?

If you haven’t already notified the Financial Aid Office, you need to do so. Your financial aid budget and award will be adjusted accordingly.

I’ll be a fifth year student next year, how will this affect my financial aid?

Fifth year students are not eligible for college grants and scholarships. However, the Federal Pell Grant may extend into the 5th year, depending on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Student loans and student employment are also available for fifth year students.

Transfer students and those who will be student teaching during their fifth year, should contact the Financial Aid Office for details regarding those situations.