Welcome to CSB/SJU History!
The past matters. The discipline of history works to understand the past on its own terms and reveals its relevance for the present. The History program supports the liberal arts mission by providing students with insight into the human condition while also building skills in critical analysis and effective communication. We lead students into an empathetic encounter with the past and engage them in the practice of historical interpretation. Together we imagine and reconstruct people's lives across place and time and within diverse circumstances. In these ways, the History program supports the colleges' commitment to global education and cultural literacy. We cultivate an understanding of how the past molds but does not determine the present, and we examine how current realities are historically constructed rather than naturally given. By encouraging students to recognize complexity and question the status quo, we prepare them to become effective citizens and contribute to the common good. Ultimately, the History program nurtures the curiosity and careful thinking that prepare students for a thoughtful and aware life.
Why Study History?
History Majors are prepared to:
- Analyze documents, data and other primary sources by comparing and contrasting them to observe causal relationships.
- Synthesize information.
- Evaluate arguments by weighing the validity of their premises, methodology, and conclusions.
- Argue a position by weighing different interpretations and grounding conclusions in evidence.
- Write clearly, concisely and logically.
- Participate in intellectual conversations and discussions effectively.