Architect: Marcel Breuer & Associates, New York
Dates: 1958-1961, 1984
A wealth of information is available about the Abbey Church. See A Brief History of Saint John's Abbey and the other sources listed below.
See also Breuer Bibliography
- Abbey Church Construction, a YouTube video (14:40 min) using archival photos to show the monumental task of building the church.
- Connell, Martin. " Hidden In Plain View: Artwork at Saint John’s that Tells a Story," a 2016 PowerPoint on religious symbolism in the old Abbey Church, i.e. the Great Hall, and other locations on campus. An earlier version of Connell's PowerPoint was shown at his " Lunch and Learn: Hidden in Plain View" [video] presentation at SJU on April 5, 2016.
- Young, Victoria. Saint John's Abbey Church: Marcel Breuer and the Creation of a Modern Sacred Space [video], a Lunch and Learn presentation at SJU on December 4, 2014.
- Designing a Church for Saint John's in the Mid-20th Century: What the Architect and the Monks Had in Mind by David Paul Lange, OSB, 2 October, 2013, a YouTube video (55 min) on the designing of the first and second Abbey churches. A taping of a Benedictine Institute Lunch and Learn presentation.
- Building the Saint John's Abbey Church. CSB/SJU Media Services, 2012. Produced and directed by Mike Geib, class of 2012. A YouTube video (9:25 min) describing the architect and the costruction process of the Abbey.
- Walking Tour of the Abbey Church, a brochure with a map and information
- Thimmesh, Hilary, OSB. Marcel Breuer and a Committee of Twelve Plan a Church: A Monastic Memoir. Collegeville: SJU Press, 2011. NOTE: CSB/SJU login required.
- Durken, Daniel, OSB. "Pavilion blessed, Eucharistic devotions stressed at dedication."Abbey Banner, Fall 2007, p. 13-14.
- Fecht, Geoffrey, OSB. "Abbey Guesthouse and Pavilion will be dedicated October 21-22, 2006."Abbey Banner, Fall 2006, p.22-23.
- Abbey Church Tour Brochure, colored photos and descriptions of the church and its features; includes "The Relics of Collegeville: Souvenirs of the Saints" by Michael Kwatera, OSB, from the Abbey Banner, Fall 2002 , p. 12-13.
- Horwich, Jeff. " Still controversial, the Abbey Church turns 40," Minnesota Public Radio. 24 October 2001.
- Tegeder, Vincent. "Master Plans," Scriptorium, v. 26, 1988, p. 1-22. A chronological examination of the building projects at St. John's between te end of World War I and the creation of Marcel Breuer's Master Plan in the 1950s. See p. 20-22.
- Haeg, Ben, " 86 is Year of Architectural Anniversaries," Alumni Magazine, Autumn, 1986, p. 6-8.
- Dworshack, Abbot Baldwin, OSB. "A Tale of Two Churches." Scriptorium, v. 24, 1985, p. 181-195.
- Abbey and University Church of Saint John the Baptist, 5th ed, a 36-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church, 1980.
- "Bishop Bartholome Consecrates Abbey Church," The Record, 25 August 1961, p.1.
- Dean, B. "St. John's New Abbey Church: Theological, Liturgical Aspect,"Scriptorium, Vol. 20, 1961, p. 1-29
- Millette, Brian, OSB. "St. John's New Abbey Church: A Chronicle of Construction," Scriptorium, Vol. 20, 1961 p. 75-103
- Avery, Benedict R., OSB. The Crypt Furnishings of the Abbey Church of Saint John the Baptist. 11-page unpublished document describing the features of the church, including the art works in the crypt's 34 individual chapels.
- Steinbronn, Tim “ Stained Glass Artistry Progesses,” The Record, 6 May 1960, p.2.
- To Praise the Living God, a 16-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church planning, ca. 1958.
- Twomey, Mark New Church, St. Thomas Hall Ahead of Schedule,” The Record, 10 October 1958, p.4.