Architect: Marcel Breuer & Associates, New York
Dates: 1958-1961, 1984
A wealth of information is available about the Abbey Church. See Abbey and University Church: An Introduction and the other sources listed below.
- See also Breuer Bibliography
- Abbey and University Church of Saint John the Baptist, 5th ed, a 36-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church, 1980.
- Abbey Church Tour Brochure, colored photos and descriptions of the church and its features; includes "The Relics of Collegeville: Souvenirs of the Saints" by Michael Kwatera, OSB, from the Abbey Banner, Fall 2002, p. 12-13.
- To Praise the Living God, a 16-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church planning, ca. 1958.
- Avery, Benedict R., OSB. The Crypt Furnishings of the Abbey Church of Saint John the Baptist. 11-page unpublished document describing the features of the church, including the art works in the crypt's 34 individual chapels.
- Walking Tour of the Abbey Church, a brochure with a map and information
- Abbey Church Construction, a YouTube video (14:40 min) using archival photos to show the monumental task of building the church.
- Building the Saint John's Abbey Church, a YouTube video (9:25 min) describing the architect and the costruction process of the Abbey.
- Designing a Church for Saint John's in the Mid-20th Century: What the Architect and the Monks Had in Mind by David Paul Lange, OSB, 2 October, 2013, a YouTube video (55 min) on the designing of the first and second Abbey churches. A taping of a Benedictine Institute Lunch and Learn presentation.
- Thimmesh, Hilary, OSB. Marcel Breuer and a Committee of Twelve Plan a Church: A Monastic Memoir. Collegeville: SJU Press, 2011. NOTE: CSB/SJU login required.
- Twomey, Mark “New Church, St. Thomas Hall Ahead of Schedule,” The Record, 10 October 1958, p.4.
- Steinbronn, Tim “Stained Glass Artistry Progesses,” The Record, 6 May 1960, p.2.
- Dworshack, Abbot Baldwin, OSB. "A Tale of Two Churches." Scriptorium, v. 24, 1985, p. 181-195.
- Haeg, Ben, "86 is Year of Architectural Anniversaries," Alumni Magazine, Autumn, 1986, p. 6-8.
- Horwich, Jeff. "Still controversial, the Abbey Church turns 40," Minnesota Public Radio. 24 October 2001.
- Connell, Martin. "Hidden In Plain View: Artwork at Saint John’s that Tells a Story," a 2016 PowerPoint on religious symbolism in the old Abbey Church, i.e. the Great Hall, and other locations on campus. An earlier version of Connell's PowerPoint was shown at his "Lunch and Learn: Hidden in Plain View" [video] presentation at SJU on April 5, 2016.
- Young, Victoria. Saint John's Abbey Church: Marcel Breuer and the Creation of a Modern Sacred Space [video], a Lunch and Learn presentation at SJU on December 4, 2014.