Stella Maris Chapel
Architect: Vincent Schiffrer, OSB (original chapel of 1872); Gilbert Winkelmann, OSB (present chapel of 1915); Cloud Meinberg, OSB (renovation of 1943); Ed Sovik (renovation of 2007)
Contractor: Monks of Saint John's Abbey
- Built 1872, burned 1903
- Rebuilt 1915
- Renovated 1943, 1989, and 2007
In 1872 a romantic and picturesque chapel was built across Lake Sagatagan to honor Mary, the Mother of God, under the title of Stella Maris (meaning “Star of the Sea”). Originally it was situated on what was then called Doctor’s Island, named thus after an English teacher (Dr. Aylward) lost his eyeglasses near the site. Since the chapel was built, it has been referred to as Chapel Island. The water level was higher at that time, making it an island, but it is now only a peninsula, approached by a wooden walkway. The original chapel was a small gothic red brick structure 16' by 12' with a white spire. The chapel survived the tornado of 1894, but was burned down on April 17, 1903, by a lightning strike. For eleven years, nothing remained of the chapel except the foundation and underbrush.
In 1915, the young monks of the abbey completed a new Stella Maris Chapel on the same site, using red cement block with white stones for ornamentation. Gilbert Winkelmann, OSB, designed this larger Romanesque-style chapel, which featured with a wooden altar and a steeple, as well as a statue of the Blessed Mother. Abbot Peter Engel blessed and laid the corner stone for the chapel on June 13, 1915. "In 1916, a handsome concrete stairway leading down to the water's edge and also a bridge connecting the island with the mainland to the east were built.” But the planned bell in the tower and a fountain with benches for rest and meditation were never completed. Materials for the chapel were brought by sled over the lake during the winter or by horse-drawn wagon in the summer. The chapel had been a site of devotion for the monks but, over the years, it suffered from neglect, vandalism and misuse. In 1943, under the direction of Cloud Meinberg, OSB, the stolen cornerstone was replaced and the walls were given new strength by the addition of fieldstone buttresses. The young monks worked all summer to fashion stained glass windows and Cloud sketched on the wall a painting of the Blessed Virgin (which has since faded and disappeared).
In 1989, a new roof was added, general brick and wall repair completed, paint applied, and a new altar erected. In 2007, as part of the 150th anniversary of St. John's, Don Hall, SJP class of 1955, financed a somewhat controversial renovation of the chapel. The fieldstone buttresses were removed and replaced with concrete buttresses more in scale with the size of the chapel, the interior was plastered, the exterior stuccoed, the floor covered with Mexican tile, and new stained glass windows and an entry door were installed. Until the renovation, the Chapel had become not so much a place of pilgrimage as a destination for a walk; once or twice a year the Saint John's University or Alumni Chaplain would celebrate a Mass at the chapel. Time will tell whether it resumes its more sacred and devotional role.
- "Kodak Treasures," The Record, June, 1893, p. 131.
- "Chapel Island -The Old and The New," The Record, July, 1915, pp. 388-392.
- "Chapel Island," The Record, April, 1916, pp. 215-217.
- "Local News," The Record, October 1916, p. 476
- [First mass celebrated in the new Chapel] "Local News," The Record, July 1918, p. 413
- "Chapel in the Pines," Scriptorium, vol. 5, no. 1, Christmas 1944, p. 68.
- Brophy, Bob. "Stella Maris Chapel...In Seventy-sixth Year," The Record, 2 December 1948.
- Deutsch, Alfred, OSB [presumably; Abbey Quarterly editor]. "Stella Maris and Chapel Island: Site of Building Projects for Generations of Monks," St. John's Abbey Quarterly, October, 1984, p. 8.
- Harris, Paul. "Stella Maris Chapel survives despite neglect and vandalism,” The Record, 12 March 1987, pp. 6-7.
- Soriya, Maiya. "Stella Maris, the "Old Chapel" undergoes renovation," The Independent, 4 April, 1989. p. 8.
- "Stella Maris - Rededication," St. John's Abbey Quarterly, July, 1989, p.14.
- Lindblad, S. Owen. “Today's history: Stella Maris Chapel,” St. Cloud Times, 27 September 1999, p.3B.
- O'Sullivan, John. "SJU's Stella Maris Chapel Gets a Facelift," The Record, 27 September 2007, p. 1. (PDF from website or scanned versions available.)
- "June 28: Renovated Stella Maris Chapel to be Blessed," Abbey Banner, Spring 2008, v. 8, n. 1, p. 32.
- Mullin, Michael. "Stella Maris Chapel renovated and blessed," Abbey Banner, Fall 2009, v. 9, n. 2, p. 9-10.
- Gray, Eleanor. "A Storied Trail," Sagatagan Seasons, Summer 2012
- DeBraun, Dan. "Frozen in Time - Stella Maris Chapel at Saint John's" [video], 13 August 2014.
- Roche, Pat. "Plan Marian Year Mass At Lakeside Chapel, Organize Pilgrimage to Stella Maris 'Island.'" The Record, 7 May 1954 p. 1.
- Harrison, Julie. "Legends Surround Deserted Chapel." The Record, 18 September 1986, p. 6.
- Gerrety, Timothy M. and T. Riley Cheesebrough. "Fire in the Chapel." The Record, 17 March 1994, p. 1.
Last updated August 18, 2014.