The ground was broken for a new art center at St. John’s on November 10, 1989 and construction was completed in the fall of 1990. Previously located in a few classrooms in Engel Hall (now called Simons), the new arts center functioned as a much-needed expansion to the art department at St. John’s. The building consists of two sections. One section includes a large and a small gallery for resident and visiting artist as well as an auditorium style lecture hall. The other section has studio classrooms, a digital video studio, sculpture studio, printmaking studio, student studios, and a darkroom.
- Perry, Steve. "Plans for Art Building Set; Loan will Enable Engel Renovation." The Record, 20 October 1988, p. 4.
- Perry, Steve. "Progress reported in Art Center, Engel Planning." The Record, 16 March 1989, p. 1.
- Augustine, Stephen. "Art Center Construction in Progress." The Record, November 30, 1989, p. 4.
- "Construction Begins on New Center," Saint John's Magazine, Fall 1989, p.6.
- Dreizenhnter, Patrick. "Now That's Progress!," The Record, March 29, 1990, p. 3.
- "Ceremony, exhibit mark Art Center opening," Saint John's Magazine, Summer-Fall 1990, p. 12.
- Carpenter, Paul. "SJU Celebrates Opening of Art Center." The Record, 26 September 1990, p.3.
- "New Arts Center Blessed," Abbey Quarterly, Autumn 1990, p.6.
- "SJU art center up and running," The Record, October 10, 1990, p. 4.
- "St. John's to name building [Art Center] for James Scott May," St. Cloud Times, March 5, 1994.
- "Gratitude goes too far: SJU decision to name art center [Scott May]," St. Cloud Times, March 9, 1994.
- Petheo, Bela. "Visual Arts Find a Home," Saint John's Magazine, Fall 1994, p.1.
- "Dayton Hudson provides gift for art gallery," Saint John's Magazine, Winter 1995, p. 13.
- "Kids find art can be smart: SJU opens Art Center to local youth," St. Cloud Times, August 1998.
- "SJU Architect Jacobsen Recognized", Saint John's Magazine, Summer 1999, p. 14.
Text drafted by Maria Schrupp '20