More about the Program
The baccalaureate program at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791 (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). The program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
Pass rates on the national licensing exam (NCLEX) typically exceed national pass rates for baccalaureate graduates.
Standards of the Nursing Department
Students are expected to uphold the nursing department standards as embodied in the most current versions of the:
- Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice (AACN, 2021)
- Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, 4th edition (ANA, 2021)
- Code of Ethics for Nurses (ANA, 2015)
- Minnesota Nurse Practice Act
Approved Student Learning Outcomes
Within the context of a liberal education and grounded in Catholic and Benedictine traditions and values graduates will:
- Provide quality and safe nursing care across the levels of prevention.
- Apply transformational leadership principles in the coordination and delivery of healthcare.
- Apply principles of global citizenship to advocate for and improve health care.
The nursing curriculum is highly structured and requires careful planning to complete in four years. The Academic Plan page provides the four year plan of courses for nursing students.
Any changes to course descriptions or learning outcomes must be approved by the Department Curriculum Committee. These changes may also be subject to review by the appropriate committee of the Joint Faculty Assembly. (Approved 5/06)
The theory/clinical ratio used in the nursing department is 1:4 (one theory hour = 4 clinical hours). For example, a 3 credit clinical course should expect 120 clock hours of learning activities. Courses must allot clinical hours accordingly. (Approved 5/06)
We offer a Direct Admission Program for High School Seniors with an ACT composite score of 27 or high school GPA of 3.0.Direct Admission Program
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Dr. Julie Strelow
Chair, Nursing Department Undergraduate Program
CSB Main 441