Exercise and physical activity play an important role in improving the quality of life of individuals, including decreasing the risk of disease and injury. The mission of the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department is to prepare liberally educated men and women for graduate study in exercise and health related fields, and to prepare graduates to function competently and ethically in the fields of exercise science and coaching. Consistent with the Coordinate Mission of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University, the department fosters integrated learning, critical thinking, strong communication skills, exploration of culture and gender related issues, and provide leadership and service opportunities for students.
Exercise and Health Science
A student that graduates from CSB/SJU with a major degree in Exercise and Health Science will…
- use clear, accurate, and evidence-based reasoning to evaluate and choose among alternatives to make decisions or solve problems in exercise and health science.
- communicate effectively by presenting information in oral and written formats.
- create reasoned ethical decisions around issues important to exercise and health.
- be academically prepared for graduate study in an exercise or health related field and/or prepared to function competently and collaboratively in an exercise or health field.
Exercise Science and Sport Studies
A student that graduates from CSB/SJU with a minor degree in Exercise Science and Sport Studies will...
- demonstrate the ability to effectively engage in scholarly inquiry and analysis in the area of Exercise Science and Sports Studies.
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate information through disciplinary writing.
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate disciplinary information through oral communication.
- demonstrate ability to make ethically reasoned decisions relative to sport and exercise science.
- be academically prepared for graduate study in exercise related fields and/or prepared to function competently in the fields of exercise and sport.