Mathematics is about mental discipline. It involves thinking about the world in different ways and exercising your intellect like an athlete in training. And if you've got math on the brain, we can challenge you with great faculty, intelligent peers and fascinating coursework.
Overview of Program
- You are encouraged to take calculus your first semester. If you aren't sure if you are ready, look through the Calculus Readiness Exam.
- We emphasize a conceptual understanding of mathematics together with problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
- Mathematics is considered a core part of a liberal arts education.
- Learn more about our program.
- Each year the department sponsors a Pi Mu Epsilon conference, a forum for undergraduates to present original research.
- The Math Society is one of the more active clubs on campus.
- Every year, mathematics students present at the Mathematical Association of America Student Paper Session. Numerous students have received awards at these meetings.
- Faculty member Tom Sibley's Foundations of Mathematics book was recently published by John Wiley and Sons.
- Student every year can choose to take our Math Topics course which includes many contempory and non-traditional undergraduate topics. In recent years courses in Mathematical Modeling, Bioinformatics, Differential Geometry and Game Theory have been offered.