"The task of a teacher, who is also a learner, is both joyful and rigorous. It demands seriousness and scientific, emotional and affective preparation." Paulo Freire
Purposeful decision-making is at the heart of effective teaching. Our aim is to develop exemplary teachers with a strong liberal arts foundation who exemplify Benedictine values, and who consistently make professional decisions that help all students achieve their full potential as persons and as responsible world citizens in a democratic society.
Through formal instruction, field experiences, and supervised clinical teaching we strive to prepare educators who understand the complexities of today's classrooms and students, and who are able to apply their knowledge for the benefit of their students.
Education SharePoint Site
Faculty and Staff SharePoint Site
Student Resource SharePoint Site
Student Teacher SharePoint Site
Overview of Program
- K-12 classroom experience as observers, aides, tutors, and instructors in diverse educational settings is woven throughout candidates' four years of study and practice.
- Elementary candidates invest 200 hours in field experiences followed by 600 hours in 16 weeks of student teaching.
- 5-12 secondary candidates invest 140 hours in field experiences followed by 600 hours during 16 weeks of student teaching.
- K-12 candidates invest more than 140 hours in field experiences followed by varied hours during student teaching, depending on their area of study.
- All licensure programs are approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching and accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) -- formerly NCATE (National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education).
- Grade K-6 Elementary Education
- Grade K-12 Visual Arts, Vocal or Instrumental Music, French, German, Spanish and Teaching English as a Second Language
- Grade 5-12 Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics
- Grade 5-8 Language Arts, Mathematics, and Natural Science
- Grade K-8 French, German and Spanish
- Grade 9-12 Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- All candidates affirm their instructional effectiveness during their student teaching experience by completing a graded teacher work sample and a nationally scored Stanford-Pearson Teacher Performance Assessment.
- Candidates' average annual employment rate in educational settings exceeds 80%.