CSB/SJU Sustainability Office
We are the CSB+SJU Joint Sustainability Office!
Since the joining of the CSB and SJU offices in 2019, we have worked to coordinate efforts toward environmental, equitable, and economic sustainability on both campuses. Our team includes a Joint Sustainability Program Manager, student employees, student interns, and student volunteers. We're supported by a Sustainability Council that draws from all sectors of campus to provide for the needs of everyone.
We assist and house student clubs and organizations like Climate Justice Club, Full Circle Greenhouse, and Community Kitchen. We educate students on our food, water, electricity, compostable and recyclable waste. And we work with students, by students, and for students to help our school become more sustainable. Have you seen our Green Guide?
What we Do
There is plenty going on in the Office of Sustainability! Here are some of our current projects.
- Revolving Loan Fund: Money for projects that have a return on investment that in turn create a more energy efficient school.
- Education: See our quick guides to recycling and composting on campus, energy and water tips, and more on our Resources page!
- Club Sponsorship: Many environmentalist clubs make their home in the Sustainability Office. Check out Full Circle Greenhouse, Community Kitchen and Climate Justice Club.
- Stash It Don't Trash It and the BIG Sale:Move-Out collection of unwanted items and Move-In sale for incoming students.
- Week of Sustainability: Week in April dedicated to sustainability with a variety of events.
- Cut the Current Energy Challenge: Annual challenge to see which residence hall can reduce the most electricity.
What can I do to make a difference?
There's so many great choices. Do something you love!
- Come work for the Sustainability office. Positions are now open for student employment for the 2022-23 school year!
- Volunteer or Intern with the Sustainability Office. Conduct real research on our own campuses on food, energy, greenhouse gas, and water audits. Counts for internship credit!
- Run for the Senate Sustainability Representative: Student Senates have one representative from each campus that focuses in on sustainability on campus.
- Submit a proposal for a Revolving Loan. Anybody can submit a proposal for a sustainability project or venture through our two funds for long-term and short-term projects. Projects will be audited, and the results will be posted on our website to prove the viability and legitimacy of the fund. A committee of faculty, staff, administration, and students govern the fund.
- Start something you are interested in!
The possibilities are endless. We want to work with you to take your sustainable idea from concept to reality. Maybe there's a club you think the school needs. Maybe you want to see a certain program or initiative happen. Back in 2011, SJU Stephen Johnson approached Nick Moe at the SJU Office of Sustainability with his idea of building a greenhouse on campus. Just two years later, the Refectory started buying lettuce grown right at SJU. Another example of student-led initiatives was the idea of an intern in the Office of Sustainability. Michael Lockwood wanted to reduce phantom energy on campus. During the summer of 2013, 125 phantom energy-reducing powerstrips were distributed across campus.