CSB and SJU Sustainability Office
We are the CSB+SJU Sustainability Office
Broadly defined, sustainability means meeting society’s present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. As a Catholic, Benedictine institutions, the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University accept that all creation is a gift from God; in exchange we are expected to care for creation and provide stewardship for the entire community of life on Earth. Our commitment to this stewardship, by definition, incorporates the principles of sustainability: our actions should be ecologically sound, socially just, and economically viable today and should continue to be so for future generations.
Because of our commitment to the Benedictine tradition and the principles of sustainability, we will
work to emphasize and embed these concepts into our educational mission, the operation of the
physical campus, and our outreach to communities beyond the college.
What we Do
There is plenty going on in the Office of Sustainability! Here are some of our current projects.
- Revolving Loan Fund or Green Funds: Money for projects that have a return on investment that in turn create a more energy and resource efficient school.
- Education: See our quick guides to recycling and composting on campus, energy and water tips, and more on our Projects and Programs page!
- Club Sponsorship: Many environmentalist clubs make their home in the Sustainability Office. Check out Full Circle Greenhouse, Community Kitchen and Climate Justice Club.
- Stay up-to-date on Sustainability news by checking out our monthly newsletters:
- Stash It Don't Trash It:Move-Out collection of unwanted items and subsequent donations
- Earth Week: Week in April dedicated to sustainability with a variety of events to advocate for the Planet
- Cut the Current Energy Challenge: Annual challenge to see which residence hall can reduce the most electricity.