1: Review the Summer Internship information.
- Several 3-ring binders are available by the SJU Political Science Office (Simons 150) showing materials from previous summer study groups.
- Or, review the online version here.
2: Complete the program application.
Due Friday, November 5th
Complete the online Summer 2022 Washington DC Internship form. After this you will receive an email containing all of the information you have submitted.
- Prepare a one-page resume that describes your education, skills, experience and background that might be helpful in the work of a Congressional, lobbying, communications, or public policy office.
- Prepare a 1-2 page writing sample demonstrating clear and concise writing and research skills.
- Prepare a site list of 20 possible internship sites.
- Send your resume, writing sample, and a site list to [email protected].
All questions should be directed to Christi Siver ( [email protected]) or Sheila Hellermann ( [email protected]).
Note that some internship sites – e.g., the State Department, F.B.I., etc., take a longer lead time to complete the application process and application materials must be prepared earlier in the fall.
3: Initial application approval.
The program directors will notify applicants if accepted into the summer program after interviews.
4: Application materials sent to Washington sites.
- During late fall and early spring semesters, the directors will assist students in researching internship opportunities at appropriate Washington locations, preparing application materials, and following up on contacts. This is an intensive process and requires a serious time commitment.
- A series of pre-internship orientation sessions will be scheduled for mandatory participation by all interns approved for summer study in D.C. (Students studying abroad will be kept informed of session activities electronically.)
- Registration forms will be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the Program Director. Tuition will be due and payable to Student Accounts in accordance with deadlines provided by the Registrar’s Office.
- Housing and travel arrangements will be completed.
5: D.C. Summer Study, June and July 2022.
6: Final evaluation report and updated resume due.
Information subject to change, please confirm with Program Director.