To build, from toothpicks, a wheeled device that will coast a distance.
- Standard wood toothpicks (round or flat)
- Casein glue (Elmer’s, Borden’s, etc.)
- Dental floss (waxed or plain)
Other types of string, sticks, or glues (epoxy, rubber, super, etc.) will not be allowed.
- The device must have at least two wheels which rotate freely around one or more axles.
- The framework, including the axle(s) must not rotate.
- The device must fit completely in a box 30 cm. X 30 cm. X 30 cm.
- No lubricating materials are allowed.
- The device will be placed on a ramp by one of the participants and released. The ramp is constructed from a two by four foot sheet of hardboard (smooth side up) which is elevated fourteen inches on one end. The ramp is straight with a transition to the floor provided by a tape junction.
- A score will be determined by measuring the distance the device (front end) rolls along a straight line marked on the floor, and then subtracting the deviation from the straight line (distance between the line and the point on the device closest to the line).
- Contestants will have three attempts. The best of the three will be used as the final score. The three attempts will be scheduled consecutively; however, contestants may opt to delay the third attempt to make minor repairs or adjustments.
- In the event of a tie, the second best of the three attempts will be the tie breaker.
- Practice runs in the testing area, prior to the actual competition, will not be allowed.