Bob Russell Spring Birding Day
Saturday, May 20, 2023
Meet in room 140, New Science Center | Driving Directions
Register to join us starting at either 5:30 a.m. or 8:00 a.m. for birding in Saint John's Abbey Arboretum. Binoculars are available if needed. Dress for the weather - we go rain or shine!
- $20 - Outdoor U Members & Audubon Members
- $30 - Non-Members
- Cost includes guided birding walks, morning snacks (i.e. fruit, granola bars, etc.) and buffet lunch.
- 5:30 -6:00 a.m. Check-in, New Science 140
- 6:00 - 8:00 a.m. Birding in the Abbey Arboretum
- 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Light snacks and/or Check-in, New Science 140
- 8:30 - 11:00 a.m. Birding in the Abbey Arboretum
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Lunch (included in registration price)
Pre-register by NOON on Thursday, May 18. NO REFUNDS after noon on the Thursday, May 18, except in case of event cancelation.
- Online registration form
secure credit card transaction
Saint John's Outdoor University brings you a day of hiking through an Audubon designated Important Bird Area in Minnesota during peak migration! In the morning, we'll stay on the 2,500 acres of Saint John's Abbey Arboretum and do all our birding by walking. We have seen 100+ species in past years at Saint John's. Early risers will be stunned by the abundance of birds active early in the day.
Sitings in recent years have included: Gray-cheeked thrush, Cerulean warbler, Mourning warbler, Eastern towhee, Avocet, Harris sparrow and more! View an index of bird species that have been spotted at Saint John's, and print your own birding checklists.
Our birding day is named in memory of Bob Russell (1945-2019). Bob served on the Outdoor U Advisory Council from 2006-2014, lending his vast expertise to the stewardship and environmental education in the Abbey Arboretum. Bob retired from a long career with the US Fish and Wildlife Service in 2015 and was generous with his passion for birding (a life list of 1200+ species!) as he helped organize and lead our annual spring birding walks for the community.