At CSB/SJU, the nutrition department offers a major and a minor in nutrition.
FOR STUDENTS DELCARING NUTRITION MAJOR STARTING FALL 2019: Within the major, students are required to take the following nutrition courses and then choose an advising track, which consists of groups of suggested courses.
REQUIRED COURSES FOR ALL MAJORS:
- NUTR 125 Concepts of Nutrition Science
- NUTR 225 Experimental Food Science or NUTR 223 Introduction to Food Science
- NUTR 323 Public Health Nutrition
- NUTR 395 Senior Nutrition Capstone or NUTR 396 Senior Research Capstone (requires NUTR 380/381 as pre-reqs)
- CHEM, BIO, and MATH introductory level courses are also required
Students interest in pursuing a nutrition major outside of the dietetics program can choose an advising track, which will be posted in Spring of 2019. Examples of advising tracks that students may choose are: Pre-Health (medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy), Nutrition Health & Wellness, Public Health, Food Science, Food & Business.
Students interested in the profession of dietetics will be required to take the following courses in addition to those above:
- NUTR 220 Weight Issues
- NUTR 230 Food and Culture
- NUTR 305 Leadership in Dietetics
- NUTR 330 Nutritional Biochemistry
- NUTR 331 Exercise Nutrition and Micronutrients
- NUTR 333 Medical Nutrition Therapy: Chronic Conditions
- NUTR 337 Medical Nutrition Therapy: Acute Care
- NUTR 341 Nutrition Education
- NUTR 342 Interviewing and Counseling Skills
- NUTR 343 Frood Production and Procurement
- NUTR 345 Entreprenuership and Management in Food Industry
Students are encouraged to make an appointment with a faculty member to discuss pursuing a nutrition major.
FOR STUDENTS DECLARING NUTRITION MAJOR SPRING 2019 OR PRIOR: Within the major, students have the option of selecting an area of concentration.