Dr. Rachelle Larsen
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 2006
- M.S., University of Minnesota, 1997
- B.S., Creighton University, 1988
Areas of Expertise:
- Public Health Nursing
- Maternal/child health
- Cultural Competence
- Nursing Education
- Stearns County Public Health, Public health nurse/Employee health nurse
- St. Cloud Hospital, staff nurse - medical/surgical units
- Camp Friendship, Director of Nursing
- Immanuel Medical Center, Float nurse
- Baylor Medical Center, staff nurse - postpartum/nursery, GYN surgery
My research interests are in the area of public health nursing and public health student learning; cultural competence in the health care workforce, and enhancing student’s cultural competence.
- Larsen, R., Ashley, J., Ellens, T., Jorgensen-Royce, K., & Smith, A. (n.d.). PHN residency for new graduates. Minnesota Department of Health. http://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/practice/ta/phnresidency/about.html
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (2019). Leveling the core competencies of public health nursing to evaluate senior baccalaureate nursing students. Public Health Nursing, 36,744–751. https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12636
- Larsen, R., Ashley, J., Ellen, T., Frauendienst, R., Jorgensen-Royce, K., & Zelenak, M. (2018). Development of a New Graduate Public Health Nurse Residency Program Using the Core Competencies of Public Health Nursing. Accepted for publication May 2018 in Public Health Nursing.
- Larsen, R., Basol, R., Simones, J., & Wilson, R. (2017). Evidence Into Practice: Hospital and Academic Partnership Demonstrating Exemplary Professional Practice in EBP. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 32(1), 68-71.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (2015). Developing and measuring cultural competence in nursing students. From Jeffreys, M. (2015). Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing and Health Care: Inquiry, Action, and Innovation (3rd Edition). New York: Springer Publishing.
- Larsen, R., Reif, L., & Frauendienst, R. (2012). Baccalaureate Nursing Student's Intention to Choose a Public Health Career. Public Health Nursing, 29(5), 424-432.
- Larsen, R. & Plog, M. (2012). Effectiveness of Childbirth Classes for Increasing Self-Efficacy in Women and Support Persons. International Journal of Childbirth, 2(2), article 5.
- Larsen, R. & Zahner, S. (2011). The Impact of Web-delivered Education on Preceptor Role Self-efficacy and Knowledge in Public Health Nurses. Public Health Nursing, 28(4), 349-356.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (2010). The Effectiveness of Cultural Immersion and Culture Classes for Enhancing Nursing Student Transcultural Self-efficacy. Journal of Nursing Education, 50(6), 350-354.
- Parsons, R. & Reif, L. (2010). Developing and measuring cultural competence in nursing students. From Jeffreys, M. (2010). Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing and Health Care: Inquiry, Action, and Innovation (2nd Edition). New York: Springer Publishing.
- Larsen, R., (April 2022). PHN Residency to Enhance Workforce Development. Oral presentation at University of Minnesota Nursing Research Day, Health Behavior Change in a Digital World, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Larsen, R. (April 2019). PHN Workforce Development Showcase/PHN Residency. Panel Presentation for the 2019 Association of Public Health Nurses Conference, Public Health Nursing 3.0: A Call to Action. Hotel Emery, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Larsen, R., Ashley, J., Ellens, T. (October, 2018). PHN residency a collaborative effort. Podium presentation at Henry Street Consortium – Leading the Way: Partnering Education and Practice for the Emerging Public Health Nursing Workforce. Radisson Hotel, Roseville, MN.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (October 2017). Measuring Intercultural Competence in Hospital and Clinic Nurses. Podium presentation for the 43 rd Annual Conference of the Transcultural Nursing Society, Hotel Monteleone, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Larsen, R., Tollefson, B., & Konczewski, A., (May 2017). Immersion Media Project. Podium presentation for Faculty Technology Day. St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (May 2015). Describing Cultural Competence of St. Cloud Hospital Nurses & Nursing Students. Podium presentation for the 5th Annual Communication Tools for Diverse Populations, CentraCare Plaza, St. Cloud, MN.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (April 2014). Evaluating Public Health Clinical. Poster session at University of Minnesota Nursing Research Day, Improving Quality Care through Patient and Family Centered Outcomes Research, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (July 2013). Measuring Cultural Competence. Podium presentation for the Nursing Research/Evidence Based Practice Brown Bag, St. Cloud Hospital. St. Cloud, MN.
- Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (April, 2012). Cultural Diversity in Perioperative Setting. Podium presentation at the Centracare Perioperative Care Conference. Perioperative Care! Renew, Refresh, Revive. St. Cloud, MN.
- Larsen, R., Simmons, J., Rickbeil, P. (May, 2012). Collaborative Evidence Based Project with Academia and Clinical Practice. Podium presentation at the 2012 QSEN National Forum, Innovation to Transformation. Tucson, AZ.
- Larsen, R., Simones, J., Schlepper, S., & Gilsdorf-Gracie, J. (2011, April). Wikis and EBP: Linking Academia and Practice. Poster session at University of Minnesota Nursing Research Day, Technology and Telehealth: Changing the Face of Nursing Research and Practice, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Larsen, R. (2010, October). Linking Education and Practice for Excellence in Public Health Nursing. Poster session at Nurse Educators Group (PNEG) 37 th annual national conference, Gateway to Innovation and Creativity in Nursing Education, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Larsen, R. (2010, August). Linking Education and Practice for Excellence in Public Health Nursing. Poster session at the 13 th Annual Public Health Nursing Conference, PHN Skills for the 21 st Century, Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
Dr. Rachelle Larsen, professor
CSB Main 460
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Dr. Julie Strelow
Chair, Nursing Department Undergraduate Program
CSB Main 441