Choral Placement Hearings
2023-24 Academic Year
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University choral program has a place for EVERY student who wishes to sing in a choir. Students who desire to participate in one of our touring ensembles – Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’s Choir – must complete a placement hearing during the first week of the fall semester (sign up for a hearing by clicking the appropriate button located just to the right of this paragraph).
NOTE: No placement hearing is required to join the All-College Choir; to enroll in All-College Choir, simply register for MUSC 239 for 0 or 1 credit.
Information about the placement process is below. If you still have questions after reading the information, please contact the Department Coordinator, Kelly Brueske.
Exciting Opportunities This Year! Don't Miss Out!
- Christmas with Saint Ben’s and Saint John’s (two performances on-campus AND one performance at the Basilica of Saint Mary in Minneapolis)
- The Chamber Choir will collaborate on a performance of Mozart’s Requiem with the Saint Cloud Symphony Orchestra and Great River Chorale in February
- All students in Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’ Choir have the option to participate in an international performance tour to Peru from May 16-27, 2024 (after spring semester has concluded). Information will be provided early in the fall semester.
Choral Ensemble Rehearsal Times
- All-College Choir - T 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Chamber Choir - MW 3:00 p.m. - 4:10 p.m./TR 2:50 p.m. - 4:10 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Men’s Chorus - MTR 4:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Women's Choir - MW 3:20 p.m. - 4:35 p.m./TR 3:20 p.m. - 4:50 p.m. (BAC A135 - CSB)
- Chamber Choir and Men’s Chorus – Dr. Bradley Miller, [email protected]
- Women’s Choir and All-College Choir – Dr. Adam Kluck, [email protected]
Soprano and Alto Hearing Location and Times
Where: CSB – Benedicta Arts Center (BAC) Room A135, Recital Hall
Monday, August 28, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, August 29, 2:45 - 6:00 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the BAC for warm-ups.
Tenor and Bass Hearing Location and Times
Where: SJU - Stephen B. Humphrey (Music Building) Room 228, Dr. Miller's Office
Tuesday, August 29, 10 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.
Wednesday, August 30, 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the SBH (2nd floor)
ALL SINGERS – What to Prepare and Expect
- Arrive at your audition 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time
- Please prepare a piece to sing that highlights your voice and ability. This can be (a) a song you have performed for high school solo/ensemble events, scholarship auditions, etc., or (b) a favorite selection such as: "America the Beautiful," "America" (My Country 'Tis of Thee), the National Anthem, "Happy Birthday," or a hymn or carol.
- Vocalizes to determine range.
- Short pitch matching and recall exercises (a 4-5 note pattern will be played on the piano - you sing it back)
- Sing a hymn melody (music provided) with us accompanying you at the piano.
- Your placement hearing will last approximately 7-8 minutes
- Chamber Choir callbacks will be at 2:50 p.m. on Thursday (callback lists will be posted and sent via email by Wednesday evening)
- Chamber Choir rosters will be posted on Friday morning (First rehearsal is Monday, September 4 at 3:00 p.m.)
- Men’s Chorus rosters will be posted and sent to singers by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday (First rehearsal is Thursday, August 31 at 4:45 p.m.)
- Women's Choir rosters will be posted by Thursday 2 p.m. First rehearsal will take place Monday, September 4 at 3:20 p.m.
Sign Up for Your Placement Hearing
Soprano and Alto Hearing Form
Tenor and Bass Hearing Form
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Dr. Amy Grinsteiner
Chair, Music Department
CSB BAC A119
SJU Music 106
Coordinator, Music Department
CSB BAC A116
SJU Music 110