2022-23 Academic Year
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University choral program has a place for EVERY student who wishes to sing in a choir. Students who desire to participate in one of our touring ensembles – Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’s Choir – must complete a placement hearing during the first week of the fall semester. An opportunity to indicate your ensemble preference is available when you complete your online form (link below). No placement hearing is required to join the All-College Choir. To enroll in All-College Choir, please register for MUSC 239 for 0 or 1 credit.
Information about the placement process is below. If you still have questions after reading the information, please contact department coordinator, Kelly Brueske.
Choral Ensemble Rehearsal Times
Soprano and Alto Hearing Location and Times
Where: CSB – Benedicta Arts Center (BAC) Room A135, Recital Hall
Monday, August 29, 1:15 - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday, August 30, 2:45 - 6:00 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the BAC for warm-ups.
Tenor and Bass Hearing Location and Times
Where: SJU - Stephen B. Humphrey (Music Building) 028, Choir Room
Tuesday, August 30, 10 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.
Wednesday, August 31, 1 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the SBH (2nd floor)
ALL SINGERS – What to Prepare and Expect
- Arrive at your audition 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time
- Please prepare a piece to sing that highlights your voice and ability. This can be (a) a song you have performed for high school solo/ensemble events, scholarship auditions, etc., or (b) a favorite selection such as: "America the Beautiful," "America" (My Country 'Tis of Thee), the National Anthem, "Happy Birthday," or a hymn or carol.
- Vocalizes to determine range.
- Short pitch matching and recall exercises (a 4-5 note pattern will be played on the piano - you sing it back)
- Sing a hymn melody (music provided) with us accompanying you at the piano.
- Your placement hearing will last approximately 10 minutes
- Chamber Choir callbacks will be at 3 p.m. on Thursday (callback lists will be posted Wednesday evening outside the SJU Choir Room and via email)
- Men’s Chorus rosters will be posted by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday
- Chamber Choir rosters will be posted on Friday morning
- Women's Choir rosters will be posted by Thursday 2 p.m. First rehearsal will take place Thursday, September 1 at 2:40 p.m.