As a residential liberal arts college, the College of Saint Benedict supports the holistic development of women within the context of living and learning in community. Foundational to our identity as a Benedictine institution, we believe that living on campus is a vital part of the student experience and provides students with opportunities to explore social, leadership, gender and relational aspects of development. Reflective of this commitment, CSB requires that all full-time students live in college housing.
Exceptions to Residency Requirement
Exceptions to the residency requirement are limited.
Students who meet one or more of the following criteria, may request an exemption from the residency requirement.
- Students who are married or who have dependent children living with them.
- 5th Year students, specifically students who are over the age of 23 on the first day of fall semester or who have attended 8 or more semesters as a full time college student following high school graduation.
Part -time students, those enrolled for less than 12 credits for fall semester. This is intended for those graduating mid-year who have fewer than 12 credits to complete or limited other unique circumstances.
- Continuing Ed Students.
- Students doing internships, clinical/capstone or student teaching more than 30 miles from campus during the Fall Semester and enrollment in said internship/student teaching/capstone accounts for more than half of the credits for which the students is enrolled. Student must provide documentation of internship/capstone/student teaching at time of request if based upon this criteria.
In addition, students who do not meet the criteria above may request an exemption in any of their four years to live at their permanent home address if located within 30 miles of the CSB campus. These requests for release from the residency requirement will be considered on a case by case basis. Those submitting a request need to demonstrate an extenuating unique circumstance that makes an exemption to the requirement necessary. Submitting a request does not guarantee that a student receive an exemption to live at their permanent home address. Also, please be aware, as living at home reduces your cost of attendance any exemption offered will likely result in a reduction to your financial aid. Any questions about this should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid prior to seeking an exemption.
To request to live at your permanent residence please note the following:
- Students must demonstrate unique and/or significant extenuating circumstance(s) that can be documented and would merit consideration for an exemption.
- In their request, students will need to demonstrate a clear plan for how they will become (or remain) an involved and active member of the community at CSB while living at their permanent home address
- Students may be invited to meet with the housing appeals committee to review their request
- Requests based on in-ability to select desired housing in room selection process or to obtain exemption to live in rental housing off campus will not be reviewed
Exemptions to on-campus housing are limited. If you meet the criteria to request an exception to on-campus housing as listed above. Each request will be carefully reviewed to ensure that they meet the exemption criteria. To apply for an exemption from the residency requirement please complete the Residency Requirement Exemption Form.