As a residential liberal arts college, the College of Saint Benedict supports the holistic development of women within the context of living and learning in community. Foundational to our identity as a Benedictine institution, we believe that living on campus is a vital part of the student experience and provides students with opportunities to explore social, leadership, gender and relational aspects of development. Reflective of this commitment, CSB requires that all full-time students live in college housing.
Exceptions to Residency Requirement
Exceptions to the residency requirement are limited.
Students who meet one or more of the following criteria, may request an exemption from the residency requirement.
- Students who are married or who have dependent children living with them.
- 5th Year students, specifically students who are over the age of 23 on the first day of fall semester or who have attended 8 or more semesters as a full time college student following high school graduation.
Part -time students, those enrolled for less than 12 credits for fall semester. This is intended for those graduating mid-year who have fewer than 12 credits to complete or limited other unique circumstances.
- Continuing Ed Students.
- Students doing internships, clinical/capstone or student teaching more than 30 miles from campus during the Fall Semester and enrollment in said internship/student teaching/capstone accounts for more than half of the credits for which the students is enrolled. Student must provide documentation of internship/capstone/student teaching at time of request if based upon this criteria.
In addition, students who do not meet the criteria above may request an exemption in any of their four years to live at their permanent home address if located within 30 miles of the CSB campus. These requests for release from the residency requirement will be considered on a case by case basis. Those submitting a request need to demonstrate an extenuating unique circumstance that makes an exemption to the requirement necessary. Submitting a request does not guarantee that a student receive an exemption to live at their permanent home address.
To request to live at your permanent residence please note the following:
- Students must demonstrate unique and/or significant extenuating circumstance(s) that can be documented and would merit consideration for an exemption.
- In their request, students will need to demonstrate a clear plan for how they will become (or remain) an involved and active member of the community at CSB while living at their permanent home address
- Students may be invited to meet with the housing appeals committee to review their request
- Requests based on in-ability to select desired housing in room selection process or to obtain exemption to live in rental housing off campus will not be reviewed
Exemptions to on-campus housing are limited. If you meet the criteria to request an exception to on-campus housing as listed above. Each request will be carefully reviewed to ensure that they meet the exemption criteria. To apply for an exemption from the residency requirement please go the CSB Student Housing Portal and complete the Residency Requirement Exemption Form found under Fall 2019.
Continue reading for details on options for seniors to request an exemption to live in the local area.
Requests for Exemption to Live in Local Area
Members of the rising senior cohorts who do not qualify for an exemption to the residence requirement through the above criteria but wish to apply for off campus residency status may apply for an exemption through the Off-Campus Process. Submitting an application or participating in Off Campus Process does not guarantee that off campus residency will be granted. Applications for the Off-Campus Process are due October 15.
A limited number of students will be released from the residency requirement each year. A student may apply as an individual* or as part of a group. Students may only enter into the selection process once each year (either as an individual or as a group). Again, please note that submitting an application or participating in Off Campus Selection does not guarantee that off campus residency will be granted. Do not sign a lease off campus unless and until you have an offer for an exemption from the college. If you have not received an exemption through the Off-Campus Process to live off campus you will need to select housing in the on campus room selection process or you will be assigned housing and you will be billed for room and board, where applicable.
Living groups may be comprised of an individual or up to six members. Groups will be released based on the best number in their group (just like the room selection process each spring). Each individual will be assigned a selection number upon which the selection process will be based. Selection numbers will be assigned to students randomly within their respective cohort groups. Your cohort group is the group of students who began college in the same year. This means rising seniors are those who will be in their fourth year or more in 2019-2020. Selection numbers will be used for on and off campus selection throughout the year.
Please also see:
To apply for an exemption from the residency requirement please go the CSB Student Housing Portal and complete the Residency Requirement Exemption Form found under Fall 2019.