Dedicated to Creating a Vibrant Campus Life
Student life is vital to our sense of community at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University! The various programs Student Leadership & Engagement provide are integral opportunities for students to enhance their educational experience.
The Center for Student Leadership & Engagement use the Competency Guide for College Student Leaders as developed by the National Association for Campus Activities and NASPA--Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. The guide is based on the following competencies identified by the Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS).
- Leadership Development
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Event Management
- Meaningful Interpersonal Relationships
- Social Responsibility
- Effective Communication
- Multicultural Competency
- Intellectual Growth
- Clarified Values
- Enhanced Self Esteem
- Realistic self-appraisal
- Healthy Behavior and Satisfying Lifestyles
- Spiritual Awareness
- Personal and Education Goals
- Career Choices
We believe that successful student leaders will develop the ability to relate classroom learning to situations outside the classroom. Student leaders at CSB/SJU have unique experiences and learning opportunities that both increase the value of the collegiate experience and add to the ability to successfully navigate life after college. The Center for Student Leadership & Engagement strives to maximize these experiences and opportunities by using The Competency Guide for College Student Leaders as a learning map for students who participate in student organizations, community service, campus employment, grass roots activities, leadership positions, followership positions, mentoring relationships with campus activities advisors, etc.
To achieve the department's goals, our employees work to:
- encourage student involvement
- provide learning through experience
- strengthen respect for all persons
- help students work collaboratively with others
- promote all aspects of community life
- support programming, leadership development and club organization
- support students in their self-directed activities and events
- support gender-specific and co-educational programming
- show the need for recreation and leisure in a healthy lifestyle
- provide a balance between work and leisure
The following core values can be found throughout our department:
- Learning - We compliment and enhance the classroom experience.
- Service - We are dedicated to serving students and our broader community.
- Advocacy - We strive to be student advocates.
- Balance - We work for wellness and balance in our activities and events.
- Ethical Decision Making - We believe in honesty and integrity.
- Stewardship - We use resources as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Community - We desire a supportive and inclusive office environment and campus community where everyone feels welcome.
The Center for Student Leadership & Engagement hosts a first-year orientation program designed to answer any questions that new students might have about the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University and to help them become familiar with the campus and campus life.
During Orientation first-year women and men are led by amazing Student Orientation Leaders who take them through several days of learning about our community. New students get to know other CSB/SJU students, become acquainted with the campuses, and attend programs that help them prepare for their first-year at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University.