What To Bring
The listed supplies are optional, and students must provide these at their personal needs and preferences. We do not provide these items.
- Bed Sheets
- (Linens also available through Residence Hall Linens)
- Mattress Cover (extra long or deep pocket twin)
- (Satellite dishes are not allowed in any residential area)
- Small Refrigerator (4.5 cubic ft or smaller)
- Full-size refrigerators are not permitted. Each resident is allowed to bring one small refrigerator.
- Students may rent a school-approved fridge from Bedloft.com. This way, when a student vacates, they do not have to worry about transporting a refrigerator.
- Power Strips
- Extension cords must have a surge protector or circuit breaker built-in, and they must have U.L. labels.
- Clothes Hangers
- Posters/Pictures/Decorations (see wall hanging restrictions)
- Carpets - Since all the student rooms in Mary Hall and Thomas Hall are carpeted, students do not need to bring carpets.
- Microwave - microwave and cooking facilities are available in each residence hall, but microwaves are allowed in student rooms
- Students can rent a school-approved MicroFridge from Bedloft.com
- Coffee maker
- Alarm Clock
- Clothes Basket
- Hand Soap
- Laundry Soap
- Iron/Ironing board
- First Aid Kit
- Medicines: cold/allergy medicines, antacids, etc.
- Toiletries and a Carrying Container
- Shower Sandals (Flip-Flops work well)
- Shaver/Shaving supplies
- All student rooms offer both wired and wireless access to the university network. Computer labs are available throughout the residence halls and the campus area.
- Desk Lamp
- Pens/Pencils/Pencil Sharpener
- Folders/Notebooks/3-Ring Binders
- Post-It Notes
- Highlighter Markers
- Stapler and Staples
- Note Cards
- Paper Clips
- Rubber Bands
- Three-Hole Punch
- Reference Books (Dictionary, Thesaurus, etc.)
- White Out
Students may bring futons, sofas, chairs, and other furniture. Note that students may not remove University furniture from their rooms.
Plants add color and life to a room. Students may consider low-maintenance plants. The Bookstore and the greenhouse sell plants. Watch for posters advertising plant sales.
Cooking in the Room
Cooking, other than the preparation of snacks, is restricted to areas with kitchens. Stoves are available in all residence halls. Students living in the residence halls are required to be on a meal contract program.
Leave at home:
Students may not bring the following on campus:
- Air conditioners
- Personal wireless internet routers
- Sandwich makers/grills
- Weapons of any kind, including toy guns
- Lofts/Bunks - homemade lofts or lofts from outside vendors are not permitted. Students may rent a loft from Bedloft.com.
- Pets, except for fish, are not allowed in any residence on campus.
- Students may have aquariums in their rooms. Note that we lock residences during extended vacations, making fish feeding difficult.
- Valuable items (jewelry, large sums of money)
- Any items prohibited by fire code (see below)
Campus Fire Safety Information
The following are prohibited in residential areas. Failure to comply results in the immediate confiscation of such items for the remainder of the school year. Individuals may retrieve confiscated items at the end of the school year by arranging a time with the Fire Chief.
- No lava lamps allowed in rooms
- No extension cords without surge protection built-in
- No multi-plug adapters allowed
- No halogen lamps or bulbs
- No piggybacking power strips (attaching one to the other)
- No candles (burned or unburned) or candle holders
- No incense or incense holders
- No fireworks of any kind
- No heating units with exposed heating elements (space heater, hot plate, etc.)
- There can be no storage, items, or beds within 18" of sprinkler heads
- Nothing can be hung from sprinkler piping or heads
- Tampering with any fire appliance will result in a fine.
- Such appliances include, but are not limited to:
- smoke detectors
- sprinkler piping
- standpipe connections
Grills, charcoal, lighter fluid, and any size propane tanks are not allowed in any campus residence, decks, or lounges anytime.
Additional Campus Fire Safety Information