Arrival and Parking
Saint John’s University, the site of the CSB/SJU Engineering Design Competition, is located between St. Joseph, MN, and Avon, MN, just off Interstate Highway 94. The interstate exit for St. John’s is clearly marked and the campus is visible from the exit. Competition participants should proceed toward the Bell Banner, the most visible campus landmark, and follow the counterclockwise traffic loop at the foot of the banner. The Peter Engel Science Center, where the competition will be held, is located behind the parking lot adjacent (east side) to the traffic loop.
Buses should drop off passengers at the science center, then return in the direction of the interstate exit. Park in the Flynntown parking lot located along county road 159 (west side) as you first enter the campus.
Participants arriving by car or van may also park in the Flynntown parking lot located along county road 159 (west side) as you first enter the campus.
Advisors and participants should check in as soon as they enter the science center. Registrations will be confirmed in the Pellegrene Auditorium (on the right to the end of the hall when you come in the front doors). Check-in will begin at 9 a.m. Teachers or advisors should register students in advance.
- Check-in / Late registration, 9 – 10 a.m., Pellegrene Auditorium
- Popsicle Dragster competition, 10 – 11:30 a.m., Pellegrene Auditorium
- Introductory Physics Lab Experiments demonstrations in rooms 121 and 123, 11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Pellegrene Auditorium
- Lunch and self-guided tour break, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Impromptu competition, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m., Pellegrene Auditorium
- Projectile Launcher competition and Impromptu judging, 1:30 p.m. – 3 p.m., Pellegrene Auditorium
- Awards will be given at the end of each competition
A buffet dinner is available in the St. John’s Refectory for the discounted price of $13.00. Serving times are from 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. See additional information on the Refectory.
Sandwiches and lighter meals may be purchased throughout the day in Sexton Commons.
During the day, participants may take time, when not involved in a competition event, to visit a research site (laser lab) in the physics department, visit an introductory physics lab (if in session) and use provided self-guided instructions, containing a map and information, to visit some nearby interesting campus sites.
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Chair, Physics Department
SJU PEngl 107