Position Description - InterAction Alum
Position Title: College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University InterAction Alum
Primary Staff Contacts: Anne Sumangil, Director of Alumnae Relations, College of Saint Benedict
Jean Dempsey, Alumni Relations Officer, Saint John’s University
Primary Alum Board Contacts: Alumna in Training Committee, College of Saint Benedict
Student Prep Committee, Saint John’s University
Purpose of Position: To foster and strengthen the life-long relationship between alums and students to the college and university; to support the holistic and transformational development of women and men by becoming a mentor-centered community; to connect, energize, and promote Bennies and Johnnies and to support the mission of Saint Ben’s and Saint John’s as a premier Benedictine College in the United States
- Represent the value of a Saint Ben’s and Saint John’s education in a professional and thoughtful manner in alignment with the Benedictine Values on which our education is based.
- Read and respond to InterAction correspondence (generally via email) in a timely manner.
- Provide advice and/or opportunities to the student with professionalism.
- Respond to communications from your student in a timely manner.
- Set your relationship expectations right away about when and how you will connect with your student (see the InterAction Program Worksheet to help guide that conversation). Note that one meeting is required (either in person or via phone or video chat).
- Fill out an InterAction evaluation to contribute to future improvements to the program.
- Listen and ask open-ended questions, which will assist the student in thinking about their professional direction.
- Refer other alums to the InterAction program.
- Must be an alumna of College of Saint Benedict or alumnus of Saint John’s University.
- Must have an interest in supporting CSB and SJU and its students.
- Willingness to meet with a Saint Ben’s or Saint John’s student in-person or virtually to help them build a professional network, improve their professional communication skills and provide first-hand insight on your industry and career path.
- Ability to commit to participating in the InterAction for one or both semesters and/or over the summer. One meeting is expected. The number of additional meetings will be determined between the alum and student.
- Connection to CSB and SJU community
- Opportunities to network
- Skill development in area of mentorship
- Act as role models for all alums - contributing time, talent, and treasure for the well-being and success of CSB and SJU.
- Attend all scheduled meetings with students, absent extenuating circumstances.
- If unable to fulfill the commitment through the semester or summer, submit an email to [email protected] and [email protected].