A continuous history
SJU is the oldest Minnesota institution of higher education that has enjoyed uninterrupted existence.
Over 150 years
Founded in 1857SJU History
A place to call home
Nearly 90% of first-year Johnnies return for their sophomore year.
Saint John’s University
A Distinctive Experience
Saint John’s University designs programs to meet the needs and aspirations of young men, emphasizing leadership and a personal development profile that includes intellectual, spiritual, emotional and physical development. Our values-based and value-added residential liberal arts education provides the framework for fulfilling lives of disciplined inquiry and leadership in careers devoted to the professions, public life and service to others.
A Sense of Place
Set amid 2,700 acres of varied terrain, the Saint John's campus is remarkable in its natural beauty. It includes wetlands, several lakes, an oak savanna, a restored prairie, and hiking trails that wind through an extensive pine and hardwood forest. In addition to its recreational value, the landscape inspires spiritual and artistic reflection and fosters the Benedictine traditions of land stewardship, education and environmental respect.
Office of the President
Brian J. Bruess, Ph.D.
Dr. Bruess became the first person to serve as president of both the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University on July 1, 2022. He is responsible for leading two strong, respected Catholic, Benedictine, residential liberal arts institutions with distinct but supporting missions.
Bruess earned his bachelor’s degree from St. Norbert College and his master’s and doctoral degrees in college student personnel/research and evaluation from Ohio University.
A Unique Partnership
Two Amazing Colleges – One Priceless Education
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University offer you two nationally recognized liberal arts colleges for the price of one. Our unique partnership gives students the educational choices of a large university while enjoying the individual attention and community of a premier small college.
- Our campuses are located six miles apart in central Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies and lakes. The colleges are minutes away from the St. Cloud metropolitan area, with a population of more than 100,000, while Minneapolis and St. Paul are 70 miles southeast on I-94.
- Our learning experiences are enlivened by Catholic and Benedictine traditions of hospitality, stewardship and service. We embrace these timeless values while encouraging independent thinking and the lively engagement of faith and reason.
- We support a vibrant environment for the performing and visual arts that contributes to culture, community and creativity.
- We’re ranked among the top baccalaureate institutions nationally in the number of students who study abroad. These experiences prepare our students for leadership and service in a global society.
- SJU and CSB were recently ranked Minnesota’s #1 and #2 colleges for getting a job by Zippia.
See for Yourself
Explore our stunning campus and all that’s waiting for you at Saint John’s University.SJU Aerial Tour
Saint John’s University
Toll Free 800-544-1816
Security (Life Safety):
Toll Free 800-635-7303
Toll Free (800) 544-1489