Student Exploration through Alum Mentorship
Student Exploration through Alum Mentorship (SEAM): 3-2-1 Launch is an exciting opportunity co-created by the XPD - Experience and Professional Development Office and the Offices of Alumnae and Alumni Relations. Students are matched with alum mentors for 3 informational interviews, 2 networking conversations with their friend or co-worker, and 1 (in-person or virtual) site visit during second semester. The program provides students with the opportunity to both network and explore the value of their liberal arts degree!
What would involvement in SEAM look like?
This year's experience is structured to fit within your second semester. The experience includes a short virtual training, 3 informational interviews with an alum mentor, 2 networking conversations with their friend or co-worker, and 1 (in-person or virtual) site visit. The experience will also include a virtual wrap-up celebration at the conclusion of the experience with all SEAM participants.
2023-2024 SEAM:3-2-1 Launch Timeline
- Wednesday, October 11, 2023: Online student application is available.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2023: Online student application closes.
- December: Applications reviewed and matches made.
- February: Student and alumni virtual training sessions offered.
- March: Students conduct career conversations and view the work-site, virtually and/or in person.
- April: Student post-experience celebration and reflection due.
Testimonials from past SEAM Mentors
“It was enjoyable to have the student present in our home as well. I found we had more in-depth conversations during the commute and at my home than during the time in my office. It allowed more time for questions and general “getting to know each other.” I'm also certain that my student wouldn't have been able to participate if it weren't for the home experience.”
“The extern I was matched with was willing to take risks and she was open about her goals in advance so I could anticipate what would work best.”