Peace Studies explores the presence and nature of conflict in human interaction, the causes of war and intergroup violence, the methods of violence and nonviolence, and the conditions for sustainable peace. The purpose of the department is to examine these subjects through the methods offered through the humanities and social sciences.
Why Study Peace Studies at CSB+SJU?
- Department Faculty. The CSB and SJU Peace Studies Department is unique nationally in that it has three full-time professors, dedicated to teaching.
- Club and Activities. The CSB and SJU Peace Studies Club contains students passionate about social justice and effecting change in our world. Majors from around CSB and SJU are invited to be members of the club, work on activities and bringing speakers to campus. Each year they attend the University of Notre Dame Student Peace Conference in South Bend, Indiana. The annual conference is sponsored by the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, and is planned and directed entirely by undergraduate peace studies students.
- Paths to Success. Students who major in peace studies can work with their advisor to focus in a specific area such as public health, Catholic Social Teaching, interfaith/world religions, gender and violence, environmental justice, or economic justice. We encourage PCST studies majors to design a track suitable to their interests.
- Students and faculty explore the potential for better conflict management, peacemaking processes, reconciliation and peacebuilding given the present historical circumstances.
- Approaches that are investigated include: nonviolent social protest; alternative approaches to security; international law and organization; and mediation and conflict resolution.
- Global Learning Aspect. Our students frequently participate in the Study Abroad program and Alternative Break Experiences (ABE), taking their passion global both in their studies and in their work.
- Experiential Learning. The Peace Studies Department requires an internship as part of its major. The sites are as diverse as the students themselves.
Meet the ProfsFaculty
Hands-on LearningStudent Resources
Life as a Peace Studies MajorLearning Outcomes
Peace Studies Majors After Graduation
The peace studies major and minor will be gradually discontinued beginning Fall 2023. Students who were enrolled at CSB and SJU prior to Fall 2023 will be able to continue in the major or minor and all appropriate opportunities will be available to them through Spring 2026.
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Interim Chair, Peace Studies Department
CSB Richarda N25
SJU Quad 355A