Guidelines for an Individualized Major
Students may choose from two tracks to create an individualized major at CSB/SJU
- Individualize an existing major
- Design their own interdisciplinary major
Students must select a faculty advisor to work with as they design the major. The student must apply for the major no later than the end of the first semester of their junior year.
Th ese are the requirements for approval of the major:
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of application
- Minimum 2.0 major grade point average in courses already completed for the major at the time of application
- Minimum of 40 credits designated for the individualized major, with a minimum of 16 credits of upper division coursework
- No more than 8 credits can be counted toward another major or minor
- A capstone experience
- If individualizing an existing major, the student may use the capstone in the host department if the chair deems it appropriate
- If designing an interdisciplinary major, the student must include a proposal for a capstone experience in the written rationale noted below
- A written and detailed rationale for the individualize major that includes
- A title for the individualized major
- A statement of the student’s educational and career goals, along with an analysis of why the existing majors offered by the institutions do not fit these educational and career goals
- A listing of proposed courses, followed by a thorough discussion of how this particular set of courses uniquely meets the student’s educational and career goals
- Approval by the faculty advisor, the chair of a host department, and the Assistant Dean/Director of Academic Advising
- If individualizing an existing major, signatures of those listed above is sufficient
- If designing an interdisciplinary major, the persons listed above must convene in order to hear the student’s proposal
Any appeals to these requirements and the timeframe for submission must be directed in writing to the Assistant Dean/Director of Academic Advising.
The forms for this process are available online at http://www.csbsju.edu/registrar/online-forms/undergraduate-students.