The art department supports the liberal arts tradition through a curriculum and faculty that cultivate critical inquiry, aesthetic appreciation, technical skill and cultural diversity in the visual arts through traditional and innovative means.
Why Study Art at CSB and SJU?
- We have a national reputation for excellence in undergraduate education.
- Students will experience working in well-equipped studio classrooms, and have access to personal studio work space.
- Our visiting artists program brings professional artists to campus each year to speak with students, critique works, and present master classes.
A CSB and SJU art degree is intended to prepare students for careers or further education in art. For the non-major, this education provides a preliminary understanding of art forms, the creative process and a beginning ability to employ critical analysis.
- You begin your journey by choosing a concentration in studio art and/or a major in studio art with a minor in art education.
- We stress both a historical view of art as well as a cross-cultural approach to learning about the diversity of art forms.
- We encourage our seniors to pursue internships, independent learning projects and a final thesis project.
CSB/SJU Art Scholarship
- Find details about our fine art scholarships here.
- To be considered for these scholarships, students must apply and be accepted for admission.
- Art Scholarship Application
Art Scholarship Recipient Requirements:
- $2,000 and below Award Recipients – Each academic year students are required to take a 4-credit art course offered by the CSB/SJU Art Department. Two 2-credit courses may count, but these are not offered regularly in the Art Department.
- Above $2,000 Award Recipients – Each semester students are required to take a 4-credit art course offered by the CSB/SJU Art Department. Two-credit courses may count to add to the total of 4 credits required per semester, but these are not offered regularly in the Art Department.
Art Majors After Graduation
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Chair, Art Department