Sample Academic 4-year Plans
The music degrees listed below are examples of 4-year plans. Please consult with a music faculty member before embarking on registering as a music major/minor.
- Music Composition (starting junior year on even numbered year)
- Music Composition (starting junior year on odd numbered year)
- Instrumental Music Education
- Vocal Music Education
- Music Performance
- Music Studies
- Liturgical Music
- Music Minor
All music majors are required to demonstrate basic musicianship, performance ability on a major instrument and piano proficiency. All students must take the Major Field Exam at the end of their junior or senior year. Please contact the Music Department Chair or the Education Department Chair or an advisor for further advice.
Additional notes on degree requirements:
- Review the Integrations Curriculum. Consider course options that support your interests and goals.
- Track requirements with Degree Works. Use “What If” to view requirements for any major/minor combination.
- Plan a mix of courses (Integrations Curriculum, major, minor, pre-professional) each semester.
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Dr. Amy Grinsteiner
Chair, Music Department
CSB BAC A119
SJU Music 106
Coordinator, Music Department
CSB BAC A116
SJU Music 110