Applying for Financial Aid
Getting Ready to Apply for Financial Aid
- The 2021-2022 FAFSA becomes available October 1. Also, FAFSA filers will report income and tax figures from two years prior: You will provide 2019 income and tax figures on the 2021-22 FAFSA, even if your 2020 taxes are complete.
- By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for need-based aid (grants, student loans, and on-campus employment).
- Students and at least one parent must each create an FSA ID that serves as your legal signature on the FAFSA. Do not use the same email address for the student and parent.
- March 15 is the recommended final deadline to apply for need-based financial aid. Please note: we still accept financial aid applications after March 15. If you apply after March 15, the financial aid staff will work hard to complete your financial aid award and send it to you before May 1 if possible.
Two Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
- Complete the FAFSA. Make sure you use the correct FAFSA website which ends in .gov, not .com. You will need the CSB/SJU FAFSA codes. Prospective men use the SJU code 002379 and prospective women use the CSB code 002341.
- If your FAFSA is selected for verification you must also complete:
Students selected for verification are notified through the Student Aid Report, which is sent via email from the FAFSA processor after your application is processed. CSB/SJU will also notify you of the verification requirement, so please monitor the email account you provided on the FAFSA.
We recognize that the FAFSA does not always provide a clear picture of your family's financial situation. You may complete the CSB/SJU Special Circumstances Form to report family financial information that might impact your aid eligibility. Circumstances that may be considered include the following:
- Loss of employment
- Other loss or significant change of income
- High unreimbursed medical and/or dental expenses
- K-12 parochial school tuition expenses
Please note that initiating a special circumstances request may result in your FAFSA being selected for verification.