The Eugene J. McCarthy Center for Public Policy & Civic Engagement
Eugene McCarthy's 1968 Campaign Kickoff
Eugene McCarthy, a St. John's alum, started his campaign for the presidency on November 30th, 1968. Check out this KSTP article to learn more about him, the campaign and hear from the center's director Matt Lindstrom on McCarthy's legacy.
Sen. Eugene McCarthy meets with monks on a 1968 visit to St. John's, the school at which he was a standout athlete. (St. John's Archive)
We had a successful 12th Annual "Polidazzle" is on Tuesday, November 28th at the Minneapolis Events Center.
Polidazzle is a McCarthy Center networking event for CSB/SJU students, alumni/ae, staff, faculty, and others who are interested in public policy and civic life. The gathering offers an excellent opportunity for current students to meet alumni/ae who are active in civic and political life as professionals or volunteers.
Volunteer Spotlight- Alexis Solheid
1. What year are you and what is your major/minor?
- I am a sophomore Political Science and Asian Studies double major with a Chinese minor.
2. How long have you been a volunteer for the McCarthy Center?
- I have been volunteering for the McCarthy Center since the beginning of this school year (fall 2017).
3. What kinds of clubs and activities are you involved in on campus?
- On campus, I sing in the chamber choir and have participated in multiple theater and dance productions. I am also a part of Extending the Link, United Politics, and Model United Nations and I am a Hynes Scholar and Jackson Fellow. I did a May term in Japan last summer and also work for the Admissions office and am volunteering on Jim Read's campaign.
4. Tell us one fun fact about yourself.
- I have six younger sisters.
5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
- It's so hard to choose just one place, but lately I've been really drawn to China, South Korea, and Thailand because of their vibrant histories and cultures. I am also learning to speak Chinese, so I would love to have the opportunity to improve my language skills by speaking with native speakers in China.
In the News