FAQs and Additional Information
How does the Writing Center help?
We offer an informal atmosphere where students can bring questions to their peers. Our one-on-one sessions allow both the tutor and the student to work through procedures and strategies in order to help improve the student's writing abilities.
Where are the Writing Centers located?
We have locations at both campuses:
- CSB Writing Center HAB 103
- SJU Writing Center Alcuin 349
Still can't find us, click here!
Note: All appointments will be conducted remotely via Zoom. In-person appointments in the Writing Center offices are not availible at this time.
When can I schedule an appointment?
Hours at the CSB & SJU Writing Centers vary. You can view when tutors are available on The Hive.
What can I expect when I come?
You and your tutor will work together to improve your paper and build your skills for the future. First, your tutor will ask you questions about your essay and your writing. Then, either you or the tutor will read your paper out loud. After that, it's up to you and your tutor to decide what to work on. We'll focus on broad structural and conceptual issues (purpose, organization, structure, evidence, etcetera) before moving on to smaller issues like grammar, mechanics and word choice.
Appointments & Scheduling
How do I schedule an appointment?
Go to The Hive
- Login using your CSB/SJU email and password(s)
- Once you're logged in, find the 'Writing Center' in your Success Network and schedule a 30 or 60 minute appointment with a tutor.
Step-by-step scheduling instruction can be found here.
Help! I can't schedule an appointment.
Your account could be disabled. If you miss five Writing Center appointments without canceling in advance, you will be temporarily restricted and unable to schedule any future appointments without contacting the CSB|SJU Writing Centers. To do so, please email [email protected].
I need help with a specific topic. Can I work with someone with knowledge in that area?
Of course! We have a Tutor Specialties page that allows students to see tutors' areas of expertise.
Appointment Tips and Reminders
- Advance appointments are required because we will be conducting all tutoring sessions remotely via Zoom. Walk-in appointments are not available at this time.
- After scheduling an appointment, check your email for confirmation.
- Please enter the Zoom meeting on time.
- Be prepared for tutoring appointments: Please have your paper ready to screen share. If this is not possible, you can email your paper to the tutor prior to the appointment.
Check out our Annual report from 2018-2019 academic year here:
Are there any additional resources for students?
Yes, the Writing Center has a Student Resources page that provides materials and resources to help students with their writing.