FAQs and Additional Information
How does the Writing Center help?
We offer an informal atmosphere where students can bring questions to their peers. Our one-on-one sessions allow both the tutor and the student to work through procedures and strategies in order to help improve the student's writing abilities.
Where are the Writing Centers located?
We have locations at both campuses:
- CSB Writing Center HAB 103
- SJU Writing Center Alcuin 349
Still can't find us, click here!
When can I schedule an appointment?
Hours at the CSB & SJU Writing Centers vary. You can view when tutors are available on our online scheduler.
What can expect when I come?
You and your tutor will work together to improve your paper and build your skills for the future. First, your tutor will ask you questions about your essay and your writing. Then, either you or the tutor will read your paper out loud. After that, it's up to you and your tutor to decide what to work on. We'll focus on broad structural and conceptual issues (purpose, organization, structure, evidence, etcetera) before moving on to smaller issues like grammar, mechanics and word choice.
Appointments & Scheduling
How do I schedule an appointment?
Go to the Online Scheduler
- Register using your CSB/SJU email and password(s)
- Once you're logged in, you will come to a schedule that looks like this:
*Make sure you schedule your appointment at the correct campus. At the top of the page, you can choose the St. Ben's or St. John's Writing Center
- Click an available white box and fill in the details about what you want to work on. You can schedule the appointment for up to an hour.
- Your appointment will show up in gold. Please bring two printed copies of your paper to the appointment.
Help! I can't schedule an appointment.
Your account could be disabled. If you miss five Writing Center appointments without canceling in advance, you will be temporarily restricted from accessing the online scheduler and you will be unable to schedule any future appointments without contacting the CSB|SJU Writing Centers. To do so, please email [email protected].
If you think you've simply forgotten your password, reset it here.
I need help with a specific topic. Can I work with someone with knowledge in that area?
Of course! We have a Tutor Specialties page that allows students to see tutors' areas of expertise.
Appointment Tips and Reminders
- Advance appointments are strongly encouraged, but we do our best to accommodate walk-ins.
- After scheduling an appointment, check your email for confirmation.
- Please arrive on time.
- Be prepared for tutoring appointments: Please bring two printed copies of your assignment and any other necessary materials.
Check out our Annual report from 2017-2018 academic year here:
Are there any additional resources for students?
Yes, the Writing Center has a Student Resources page that provides materials and resources to help students with their writing.