Kathleen A. Cahalan
Professor of Practical Theology
B.A., Mundelein College, 1983
Office: Quad 251B
Areas of Teaching and Research
- Pastoral Ministry, Practical Theology, Practical Wisdom, Vocation, Spiritual Practice
- Her research focuses on vocation and work and the professions, along with spiritual wisdom and spiritual practice. Her teaching focuses on pastoral care.
- Kathleen A. Cahalan is professor of practical theology at Saint John’s University School of Theology and Seminary and director of the Collegeville Institute Seminars, a collaborative, interdisciplinary, and ecumenical research project that includes seminars on vocation across the lifespan, vocation and faith in the professions, and interfaith perspectives on vocation.
- “Informed and Formed by Theological Education,” Theological Education: Between the Times 51:2 (2018): 69-74.
- “Callings over a Lifetime: In Relationship, Through the Body, Over Time, and For Community” and “Late Adulthood: Seeking Vocation Once Again” in Calling All Years Good: Vocation across the Lifespan, Kathleen A. Cahalan and Bonnie Miller-McLemore, eds. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub., 2017.
- “Stewardship of Work: Called to Serve,” in Beyond the Offering Plate: A Holistic Approach to Stewardship, Adam J. Copeland, ed. (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2017): 124-37.
- 2017: Calling All Years Good: Vocation across the Lifespan. Editors, Kathleen A. Cahalan and Bonnie Miller-McLemore. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub., 2017.
- 2017: Integrating Work in Theological Education. Editors, Kathleen A. Cahalan, Edward Foley, Gordon S. Mikoski. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications.
- 2017: Stories We Live: Finding God’s Calling All around Us. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans.
- “The Vocation of the Theological Educator,” Louisville Institute, Louisville, KY, October 8, 2018.
- “The Grammar of Vocation: Changing the Way We Talk About Our Callings,” Leadership Colloquium, Berkeley Divinity School at Yale Divinity School, April 16, 2018.
- “Developing A Theology of Calling…A Theology of Vocation,” Vibrant Faith, Baltimore, MD, April 4, 2018.
- President of the Association of Practical Theology (2006-2008) and current member
- Admissions Committee for the Catholic Theological Society of America (2007-2009) and current member
- Associate Editor for Chicago Studies (2000-2010)
- Certificate in Spiritual Direction committee for Saint John's School of Theology and Seminary (2012-2013)
- Joint Faculty Senate for the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University (2010-2013)