Founded in 1939, the OSB/SJU Fire Department consists of the Fire Chief (Andrew Smith); Assistant Fire Chief (Brother John Brudney); Captain (Father Nick Kleespie); and Captain (Brother Eric Pohlman). Aided by an energetic and dedicated crew of student employees, the Fire Department responds to fire suppression emergencies, hazmat response, medical incidents, and vehicle accidents. The fleet of apparatus consists of 1 Ambulance, 2 Fire Engines, 1 Aerial, and 1 Quick Attack vehicle.
The Fire Department takes justifiable pride in the services they provide to the OSB/SJU community. Working with neighboring communities, SJFD has mutual aid agreements in place to help mitigate emergencies on campus as well as those that occur off campus.
The Saint John’s Fire Department will set the standard of excellence by honoring tradition, professionalism, and customer service; while creating future leaders through training, education, and strong ethical values.
Statement of Core Values
- Integrity– Demonstrate honesty and fairness at all times.
- Compassion– Demonstrate kindness and empathy towards others.
- Commitment– In all department endeavors
- Professionalism– In application, appearance, attitude, and standards
- Respect– For each other, our department and our customers, the citizens, and visitors of the OSB/SJU.
- Embrace Diversity - Recognizing the value of diversity helps us to work together as a team to serve our community. We are dedicated to reflecting and respecting diversity throughout our organization.
- Attract and retain qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds who are committed to the continued excellence of the organization.
- Uphold all federal, state, and local laws, and the Saint John’s Fire Department's rules and regulations.
- Provide all members the opportunity for development and growth at every rank in the Saint John’s Fire Department.
- Expect that all members will treat each other with dignity and respect, regardless of differences.