Celebrating the Avon Hills
A conference for the whole family
Saturday, January 27, 2024
Peter Engel Science Center, SJU | Campus Map
Keynote: Attracting Bees and Beneficial Insects with Native Plants
Most insects have a positive impact in our landscapes. Native plants can be selected to attract specific bees and beneficial insects including predatory and parasitic wasps, beetles, flies, true bugs, and lacewings. Learn about the predator-prey relationships of these beneficial insects and how they help balance populations of problem insects. Discuss life cycles, diversity, and nesting habitat as well as examples of native plants for different site conditions.
Heather Holm is a pollinator conservationist and award-winning author of four books: Pollinators of Native Plants (2014), Bees (2017), Wasps (2021), and Common Native Bees of the Eastern United States (2022).
Live Raptors with the UMN Raptor Center
Learn about raptors with live raptor ambassadors from the Raptor Center. The presentation features four raptors (typically an owl, hawk, falcon, and bald eagle) to help you learn about what makes them raptors and what makes them standout amongst other birds.
Raptor Center staff will present a morning session for the adult participants and an afternoon session for the kids' track.
The Raptor Center mission is to ensure the health of raptors and the world we share. We specialize in the medical care, rehabilitation, and conservation of eagles, hawks, owls, falcons, osprey, and vultures.
- $30 Members (ages 16 & up)
- $40 Nonmembers (ages 16 & up)
- $10 Child (ages 5-15)
- $10 CSB+SJU Student
- Registration/Refund Deadline: Sunday, January 21
NOTE: Kids sessions are designed for ages 5-10 and are limited to the first 25 registrations. Older children and teens should attend the regular sessions.
Conference registration fee includes: keynote, all sessions, class materials, exhibit hall, lunch, and refreshments.
2024 Conference Schedule:
- 8:30 - 9:00 Check-in/Exhibits
- 9:00 - 10:00 Keynote Address: Heather Holm
- 10:00 - 10:30 BREAK/EXHIBITS
- 10:30 - 11:15 Live Raptor Presentation: UMN Raptor Center
- 11:15 - 12:30 LUNCH/EXHIBITS
- 12:30 - 1:15 Breakout Session I
- 1:15 - 1:45 BREAK/EXHIBITS
- 1:45 - 3:45 Breakout Session II
Kids Track (ages 5-10)
- 8:30 - 9:00 Check-in
- 9:00 - 9:45 Winter Animals
- 9:45 - 11:15 Craft Stations
- 11:15 - 12:30 LUNCH (with parent/guardian)
- 12:30 - 1:15 Live Raptor Presentation: UMN Raptor Center
- 1:15 - 3:45 Outdoor Winter Activities (bring winter snow gear!)