2020-2021 Financial Aid Instructions
Getting Ready to Apply for Financial Aid
The 2020-2021 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2019. FAFSA filers will need the following:
- Student and parents' 2018 W-2(s) and 2018 federal tax returns
- Current FSA IDs for the student and at least one parent.
The FSA IDs serve as your legal signature on the FAFSA. Manage your FSA IDs here.
June 1 is the recommended deadline to apply for need-based financial aid, (grants, student loans, on-campus employment).
Your financial aid award will be e-mailed to your campus email beginning in early June.
Two Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
1. Complete the FAFSA. Be sure to use https://fafsa.gov, not fafsa.com.
Use the appropriate Federal School Code:
College of Saint Benedict: 002341
Saint John's University: 002379
2. If your FAFSA is selected for Verification you must also complete:
Students selected for verification are notified through the Student Aid Report, which is sent via email from the FAFSA processor after your application is processed. CSB/SJU will also notify you of the verification requirement, so please monitor your email account.
If the Financial Aid Office has indicated that you are an independent student please fill out the CSB/SJU Financial Aid Application for Independent Students and Certification Page, in addition to the FAFSA.
We recognize that the FAFSA does not always provide a clear picture of your family's financial situation. You may complete the CSB/SJU Special Circumstances Form to report family financial information that might impact your aid eligibility. Circumstances that may be considered include the following:
- Loss of employment
- Other loss or significant change of income
- High unreimbursed medical and/or dental expenses
- K-12 parochial school tuition expenses
Please note that initiating a special circumstance request may result in your FAFSA being selected for verification.