Music Ministry - St. Joseph
Minister of Music
Resurrection Lutheran Church
610 N CR 2
St. Joseph, Minnesota 55374
This position is part of the Ministerial Residency Program. All students are eligible to apply for this position.
Submit the following documents to both Pr John Gabrielson (supervisor) [email protected] and Bailey Walter (MRP Coordinator) at [email protected]
You are also welcome to submit materials in person or by mail at the following address:
Resurrection Lutheran Church c/o Pastor John Gabrielson
610 County Road 2 North
PO Box 549 St Joseph, MN 56374
Resurrection Lutheran Church, a congregation of Lutheran Christians (ELCA) in St. Joseph, MN, is seeking a Minister of Music from the St John's School of Theology Ministerial Residency Program to support and grow our music ministries as we seek to honor God and grow in discipleship through worship and the development of congregation members' musical gifts.
Carolyn Finley (with support of the Worship & Music team)
- Be part of Resurrection Lutheran's Staff, sharing in the work God has entrusted to us and being both a support to and supported by the other staff.
- Direct the adult choir and children's choir(s) in worship and rehearsal.
o Accompanist provided for rehearsal and during worship.
o Adult choir rehearses every Wednesday evening during the Program Year and sings in worship twice monthly.
o Sunday School Choir is a new ministry. Sunday School Choir will rehearse 3 times per month and, initially, sing in worship once per month.
o Wednesday School Choir rehearsals will be led by a separate team, in communication and coordination with the Minister of Music.
- Help plan worship alongside a team including the pastor(s), worship coordinator and musicians.
- Attend monthly Worship & Music team meetings, Staff meetings (when possible in light of academic calendar) and consult periodically with Site Supervisor
- Help coordinate, empower and accompany (when necessary) Special Music, Programs (Christmas, etc.), Weddings and Funerals as part of Worship & Music team.
Specifications and Qualifications
- Knowledge of vocal technique including warming up the voice and the ability to demonstrate healthy vocal habits in a choral setting. o Comfort working with children's voices is a necessity
- Conducting experience, preferably beyond undergraduate methods classes.
- Respect for and knowledge of contemporary sacred music to help plan the 11:00 a.m. contemporary service, which may include guitars, drums, bass, etc as well as a choir.
- Musicianship skills and basic piano skills to facilitate a successful rehearsal. *An accompanist will be provided for rehearsals.
- Ability to choose repertoire appropriate to the voices performing and instruments available.
- Ability to encourage musicians and demonstrate patience with all choir members.
This is intended to be a long-term (greater than 1 academic year) position.
During the Program year (typically, the Sunday after Labor Day until Memorial Day), the expectation will be that the Minister of Music will work 10 hours per week, including 3 Sundays per month. On those weeks during the Program year when the Minister of Music is not present on Sunday, she or he is expected to spend the time she or he would have been present in worship on other ministry-related work.
During the Summer, the expectation will be for 6 hours per week, with Sundays negotiated with the Worship & Music team.
Resurrection Lutheran is willing to negotiate increased hours during the course of residency - on a short- or long-term basis - based on three(3) factors: 1) the congregation's need; 2) availability of funds; and 3) the Minister of Music's willingness. Any additional work will be compensated according to the agreed hourly rate or, in the case of Weddings, Funerals and similar functions, the existing Wedding & Personnel Policies of the congregation.
Resurrection Lutheran Church will pay $15/hour. This position does not include benefits.
Please see the directions above, and also include up to 3 references.