Please take time to familiarize yourself with the recycling guidelines posted in each area. Residence hall receptacles are located near in the Mary commons recycling room (near security), behind Brian Hall, the garage between Lottie and Margretta. The west apartments have a recycling shed between the apartments and corona hall; east apartment residents can recycle near either parking lot.
CSB Community Instructions
|Wax paper milk cartons||Juice boxes with straws|
|Plastic bags||Cardboard or paper with windows|
- The container labeled aluminum is for aluminum cans, trays, and plates. Crush cans if possible.
- Please note the tin cans container separates these cans from aluminum materials. Please rinse and flatten tin cans.
- The plastic receptacle is intended only for cans and jars
- Glass receptacles are specified as clear, green/blue, and brown. Remove all caps.
- Place white paper, including shredded and high grade paper, in the container labeled white paper.
- Place newspapers, magazines, flyers, paper bags, and mixed color paper in the container labeled mixed paper.
- Remove plastic bags and food from cardboard material. Flatten and place in the cardboard cage.
What happens to the recyclable items?
CSB manages its large volume of recyclables by operating a recycling system that mirrors many small towns. Recyclable items are picked up daily by college employees and stored behind the grounds, maintenance, and transportation building. Recyclables are sorted at the recycling center, which uses balers provided by Becker's Recycling, which also provided the College's dumpsters. These balers help process plastic, high grade paper, and cardboard. From that point forward, CSB manages its recyclables through collaboration with a number of outside businesses.
A grassroots group environmentally-minded students, faculty, and sisters began the recycling program in 1986. Simplicity has been a hallmark of CSB recycling since its earliest days when the group collected aluminum cans, hauled them to St. Cloud, and used proceeds to fund residence life activities. The program soon encompassed the entire campus and grew to collect additional materials. New bins, purchased by funds raised from recycled materials, were placed to accommodate community needs.
We can recycle rechargeable batteries. We'll take cell phones, laptop batteries, any rechargeable batteries. We'll even pick them up for you. Just go to the battery recycling page, fill out the information and click "Submit."