The CSB/SJU Economics Department has developed the following goals and objectives for student learning in the department:
Students of economics will be able to apply economic theory to understand economic issues and policies by:
- Analyzing interactions between human values and economic policy; and
- Demonstrating a knowledge of and ability to apply appropriate analytical tools.
Students of economics will be able to evaluate evidence bearing on those economic issues and policies by:
- Identifying, locating, and assessing the appropriate quantitative and non-quantitative information and arguments; and
- Employing both quantitative reasoning and computing skills where appropriate.
Students of economics will be able to communicate effectively the results of their economic analysis through:
- Clear writing, appropriately supported and documented; and
- For majors, polished oral presentations.
Social Science Goals and Objectives
The Social Sciences apply scientific methods to the study of human beings, social forces, and institutions. Students learn a way of examining the world, practice careful analytic thinking, and develop deeper insights into their own experience.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic facts and theories of a social science discipline.
- Acquire knowledge that enables them to make responsible social, civic, and personal choices.
- Make critical social science arguments supported by evidence appropriate to an introductory level.