March 12: Cork and Dublin, Ireland Announcement

Dear CSB/SJU Cork and Dublin, Ireland study abroad students, parents, and guardians,

We appreciate your patience and flexibility as CSB/SJU continues to manage the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic across the globe, especially in Europe. Our primary concern is the health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff around the world. 

Today, after careful evaluation, the Provost’s office made the decision to suspend our programs to Dublin and Cork, Ireland.  At this time, we want to ask all students in Ireland to begin the work of changing your flights to return as soon as possible and no later than Monday, March 16th.

CSB/SJU has made the decision to close our programs in Ireland based on many factors, that include:

  • An elevation by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to Alert Level 2 in Ireland and Warning Level 3 for the nearby Schengen zone.
  • The U.S. Department of State has issued an elevated Global Level 3 Health Advisory.
  • The continued evolution of U.S. and European government actions and travel restrictions that may complicate a students’ return home.
  • The Irish government has mandated the closure of all schools until at least March 29th.

We know this is a very upsetting decision for our students who were hoping to complete the semester in abroad, but we must take these recent developments seriously, and respond accordingly, to support the health and safety of our students.  As such, we are requiring that all Ireland students depart their program as soon as possible, but no later than Monday, March 16, and return to their home residence in the United States for the remainder of the semester.  When changing your ticket, please state to the airline that you were mandated by your university to return home in response to the recent developments with COVID-19 to potentially help defray change fee costs.

Students, stay tuned for more instructions on the continuation of your academic coursework. Once we have updates on the academic plan, we will send out the updates by program.  

Please contact our team at [email protected] with further questions or concerns.  Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate these changing circumstances together. 


Kevin Clancy

Director, Center for Global Education