March 10 Message to Faculty
A few of you have posted to the faculty discussion list with concerns about how we will respond to COVID-19. We have a team that is coordinating our response efforts. Faculty leadership has been included in these discussions and will continue to be a part of the discussions and decisions.
We are preparing for a variety of actions that could be taken. At this time, drastic responses to the outbreak are not recommended for institutions in Minnesota. We are closely monitoring the situation and are in contact with appropriate authorities. Residential Life staff is prepared to take appropriate steps to isolate infected students. We also are taking steps to provide housing for students who are unable to leave campus, either because their home is in a level-3 area or for some other reason.
What faculty can do right now:
- Visit the CSB/SJU COVID-19 page here
- Take appropriate precautions and remind students to take precautions
- Discuss in your departments how courses could be adapted to online formats if necessary
- Make sure you know how to use technology, such as Canvas, Zoom, Teams, by visiting the IT page for course continuity.
- Faculty should prepare for how they would continue courses in case they themselves become ill, which could include providing online instruction and/or instructor substitution
- Faculty who become ill should report their illness to their department chair and to Academic Affairs
Richard Ice, Provost
College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University