Dear Spring Semester Study Abroad Students, Parents, and Guardians,
Our CSB/SJU home campus, as well as our study abroad communities, continue to navigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We appreciate your earlier agreement to the Spring 2022 Study Abroad Community Standards which acknowledges your role in supporting your fellow CSB/SJU classmates and your local communities. However, we recognize that while COVID-19 case counts remain high, governments within the United Kingdom and European Union have begun loosening the international travel restrictions/regulations for vaccinated citizens. Given these anticipated government policy changes, CSB/SJU will be removing the restriction against traveling outside your program country. The removal of this travel restriction will go into effect as of Friday, February 11th.
Acknowledgement of Independent Travel Risks
While students are still covered by the CSB/SJU International Medical and Accident Insurance during their travels, students must understand the additional risks of independent travel in the midst of a COVID-19 pandemic. In order for a student to travel outside their program country, they must acknowledge these points in their CSBSJU-Global Portal:
- I understand that the COVID-19 pandemic is a fluid situation with changing government travel regulations. Government travel restrictions can change with little or no notice. I understand I am responsible for monitoring and adhering to government regulations within each country that I travel to.
- I understand that I am responsible for all additional costs related to independent travel including the costs related to testing, self-isolation, quarantine and/or delays.
- I understand that CSB/SJU does not have the resources to support me should I not be able to leave the country that I travel to independently.
- I understand that unintended delays or isolation/quarantine due to independent travel will not be considered an excused absence from academic programs. These unexcused absences may affect my final grade.
- I understand that any independent travel must be entered in the CGE travel form.
Independent Travel Form
Additionally, students must submit notice of their independent travel to their Faculty Director/Virtual Mentor or CGE Program Manager before each trip by completing the Travel Form. This is not an approval process, but we need to know if a student departs the program site for more than 24 hours.
Given the fluidity of the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask all of you to consider the additional risks before commencing independent travel outside your program country.
Director, Center for Global Education
College of Saint Benedict | Saint John’s University