Dear Italy Summer Creative Writing Study Abroad students, parents, and guardians,
The Center for Global Education (CGE)’s top priority is the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff abroad. We continually monitor the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and governmental health ministries to guide our programmatic decisions. Additionally, we have worked with each of our international site partners to understand the impact of COVID-19 on their communities. While we are hopeful that life will be closer to “normal” in summer 2022, some of our international partners remain deeply impacted by COVID-19.
After very careful consideration and evaluation, the Center for Global Education has made the difficult decision to cancel the CSB/SJU summer 2022 Italy Creative Writing program.
The decision to cancel the Italy Creative Writing program was based on several factors:
- Due to the continued impact of COVID-19 in Pavia, the academic program at the University of Pavia, including the Borromeo College, continues to be delivered largely though a virtual format. There is no indication that the Borromeo will be able to move to an in-person model by the summer;
- To mitigate against COVID-19, the University of Pavia has instituted a mandatory 7-day individual quarantine upon arrival at their school. This would amount to 25% of your program in individual quarantine;
- The COVID-19 protocols of the University of Pavia make us unable to guarantee that we can offer the academic core of this program – an in-person course with Italian students.
We know this is a disappointing update as you were hoping to study this summer in Italy, but we must respond to these limitations caused by COVID-19. However, you do have options moving forward, including deferring your application to the already planned Italy summer 2023 program. In all the situations outlined below, we will refund your $200 application fee.
OPTIONS MOVING FORWARD:
- Defer your application to Summer 2023 Creative Writing in Italy.
As you have already been accepted to this program, you will be automatically accepted to the Summer 2023 Creative Writing in Italy program. Please log into the CSBSJU-Global Portal and defer your application. When the Summer 2023 application opens next fall, CGE will work with you through the process of moving your application forward. Please note: CGE will refund your summer 2022 application fee and you will need to repay the fee with the new 2023 application.
- Apply to a different summer program for Summer 2022. We are still offering the following summer 2022 programs:
- Spain: HISP 200/211 – Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (GL, EX) with professors Eleonora Bertranou and Sarah Schaaf, Hispanic Studies – application due 3/15/2022
- Ireland: Summer Dublin Internship – application due 2/15/2022
- Withdraw and pursue global travels at a different time.
Please log into the CSBSJU-Global Portal and withdraw your application. You will receive a full refund of your application fee.
We know this is not the summer you had envisioned, but please know we are here to discuss the next steps moving forward with you.
Director, Center for Global Education
College of Saint Benedict | Saint John’s University