Schedule subject to change. Please check back for updates.
Saturday, October 14, 2023
- 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Johnnie Football Tailgate, SJU Athletic Fields Parking Lot (P2 on map)
All are welcome to join the festivities in this paid, reserved lot. Park elsewhere on the SJU campus or take the LINK from CSB and walk into the lot to join alums, parents, and friends. Pack light and carry in your tailgate fare and refreshments.
UW-River Falls vs. Concordia Moorhead at 10 a.m.
CSB vs. Wisconsin-River Falls at 12:30 p.m.
Concordia Moorhead vs. UM-Morris at 2 p.m.
CSB vs. University of Minnesota Morris at 5:30 p.m.
- 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Alum Book Signings in the Saint John’s University Bookstore, Sexton Commons
Paul Bernabei ’69 and former SJU basketball coach Jim Smith recently published Saint John’s University Basketball: Building a Tradition of Team. It is a celebration of how the SJU basketball program has enriched the lives of so many people and includes stories and articles that span the 123-year tradition of Johnnie basketball. Book sale proceeds go to the Jim Smith Endowment Basketball Leadership Program Fund to enhance and strengthen SJU basketball.
Tim Delmont ’66 wrote Everyday Dad: A Memoir about Single Parenting. In this book, he shares the challenges of being a father after his wife died unexpectedly at age thirty-three, leaving him to raise their ten-week-old daughter and five-year-old son. Tim describes how he dealt with grief, found caretaking help, and created work-life balance.
Don Orth ’67 recently published Prairie Amour: Love Stories from the Prairie. It includes short stories, pictures, and jokes. This is Don’s 15th book, and proceeds go to the Tim Orth Foundation to help kids with large medical expenses.
- 11 a.m. SJU Rugby vs. Minnesota State Mankato, Radio Tower Fields
- 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saint John’s Abbey Woodworking Open House hosted by Fr. Lew Grobe ‘06, New Abbey Woodshop
Saint John’s Abbey has operated a Woodshop since the monks first arrival in 1856. As the Abbey looks to ensure their time-honored handmade crafts are passed down to next generation, the monastic community has invested in a new 30,000 ft home for manual crafts. Come tour this new facility and see how Saint John’s Abbey looks to bring woodworking and organ building into the 21st century.
- 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Fr. Jerome Tupa ’69 Studio Open House, Upper Level of the New Abbey Woodshop
Fr. Jerome Tupa ‘69 exhibits recent works of Asian pilgrimage themes of temples and palaces based on recent trips to Bangkok, Seoul, and Kyoto.
12 – 4 p.m. Saint John’s Bible Gallery Open House, Alcuin Library, SJU
Explore 28 original folios showcasing works from all seven volumes of The Saint John’s Bible.
- 1 p.m. SJU Football vs. Carleton, Clemens Stadium, SJU
Purchase tickets online at www.gojohnnies.com/tickets or in person at the gate day of.
- 2:30 – 5 p.m. Homecoming Celebration Social, in front of the Quadrangle, SJU
A family-friendly social with cash bar and inflatables for the kids.
- 4:15 p.m. Mass, Saint John's Abbey & University Church
- 5 p.m. J-Club Hall of Honor Banquet, Guild Hall, SJU – registration required, $75 per person through October 8; $100 after. Join us as we induct the 2023 SJU J-Club Hall of Honor Class:
Lou Adderley ’55 (posthumous) – Tennis and Wrestling
Paul Bernabei ’69 – Basketball
Jon Dold ’94 – Baseball
Darwin Dumonceaux ’99 – Track & Field and Football
Chris Erichsen ’08 – Cross Country and Track & Field
Terry Haws (posthumous) – Coach
Tom Kubinski ’86 – Swimming & Diving
Matt McGovern ’01 – Golf
Chris Palmer ’96 – Football and Baseball
Fr. Dunstan Tucker ’25 (posthumous) – Distinguished Service
2003 SJU Football Team