Summer Leadership Fellows
The Summer Leadership Fellows provides opportunities for students to engage in 10-week summer internships in non-profit and government organizations. Students represent the John Brandl Scholars, Fleischhacker Fellows, Marie & Robert Jackson Fellows, and Global Health Fellows. Students with varying majors, interests, and experiences are selected through an application and interview process to be part of the Summer Leadership Fellows cohort. Each student selected for the program will receive $7,000 – subject to taxes and paid throughout the summer. All majors are welcome to apply! Students may elect to register for and earn internship credits, although it is not required to receive the fellowship. Students are not eligible to receive funding for an internship that takes place after they graduate.
Expectations for the Internship:
- Each student must engage in a full-time (approximately 40 hour/week) internship for 10 weeks
- Each internship must have a designated site supervisor
- Internships must be in the government or non-profit sector working toward civic/community engagement and the common good
- Internships are not permitted with electoral political campaigns
- Students may be paid by their internship site
- Students are NOT eligible to participate in both the Summer Leadership Fellows and any placement internship program (i.e. Urban Scholars). Any participation in a placement program will result in removal from the Summer Leadership Fellows.
- A MANDATORY cohort training takes place after spring semester wraps up, typically the week after CSB/SJU commencement.
Interested in Applying?
Applications for the 2023 cohort of the Summer Leadership Fellows Program are open November 1, 2022, through December 4, 2022.
- Preparing for the ahead 2023 Summer Leadership Fellows application? Check out FlipGrid and XPD's YouTube playlist on applications for several resources to help you create a successful application
A complete application includes (see application for additional information about each item):
- Unofficial transcript
- Document listing a minimum of 5 non-profit or government organizations in which you have an interest in exploring as POSSIBLE internship sites
- Cover Letter
- Video response to questions (replaces in-person interviews)
- Please note the application deadline. Applications will no longer be received after the deadline passes.
- Use your campus resources to assist you in creating your application materials.
Details for the 2023 Summer Leadership Fellows Application will be available in the fall of 2023.
Past Program Cohort Information:
For additional information on past program cohorts, please visit the following: