Apply for the Internship
The application deadline to be considered for an MPR/Gary Eichten Internship is Sunday, February 9, 2020.
The selection process will begin that week with selection committee review and anticipated decisions/notification of Fellowship awarding by mid-March.
Those interested in applying should submit the following items:
1) One-page cover letter. This should include the following supplemental questions:
- Why are you interested in the position and how will it parallel personal interests and current educational pursuits?
- What experiences do you hope to gain from the Fellowship?
- Discuss an MPR news story that particularly resonated with you, and why.
- Do you have the required and/or preferred skills and experience listed above? If so, be sure to include this on your resume and highlight pertinent skill sets in your cover letter. If not, please explain how you would go about acquiring those skills.
2) Optional supplemental question. Please answer this on a separate document.
- Describe an example of something in your background that gives you a unique life perspective.
3) Résumé: include relevant paid and unpaid work/volunteer experiences, relevant course or other training, conferences or workshops attended, honors and awards, public talks or media involvement, and other skills such as languages or computer skills;
4) References: names can be indicated via your online application. References should include full contact information for two (2) people who are able to give a holistic view on your academics, non-academics, skills, etc. Please send references the required link for them to complete your online reference.
5) Two writing samples: submit your strongest writing samples regardless of what they were used for (in-class our outside of class). This could include news writing, but could also include creative essays or other non-academic work. Pod costs or audio/visual materials cannot be substituted for writing samples, but could be submitted as supplemental materials. Research papers are discouraged. Feel free to include original work; it doesn’t have to be a past sample. All samples should be at most 1,500 words.