Minnesota Education Job Fair
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 ~ 10 am - 3 pm CST (Registration begins March 24, 2021)
The Minnesota Education Job Fair will look different in 2021 with the uncertainties of COVID-19. The fair is free and will be hosted virtually via Handshake.
The Minnesota Education Job Fair is geared to current students or graduates of a teacher education program at a MEJFA member institution and be eligible for teacher licensure, or be qualified for an educational service area such as: counselor, speech therapist, or social worker, by December 2021. Only candidates who meet these criteria may attend. (While we are not promoting this fair to candidates not seeking licensure, it is at the discretion of each institution to make their own decision on allowing non-licensure track candidates.)
This Fair will allow employers and candidates to meet during pre-arranged time slots on April 13th. You will be able to sign into the fair platform and sign up for time slots to speak with employers starting March 24, 2021. It’s important to register early so you don’t miss out on 1:1 sessions/group sessions.
To participate in this fair, you MUST complete two steps:
- register for the fair
- create a schedule of sessions in which you’ll meet with employers
Who can attend?
- Attendees must have been enrolled in an education program that led/leads to an education license by Dec. 2021.
- Only senior students, alumni, masters, and post doc school years can register for the fair.
- Candidates must be licensed by December 2021.
- Teaching candidates and education services candidates such as school counselors, speech therapists, school social workers, and school administrators, from the participating colleges and universities are encouraged to attend.
What employers are registered for the fair?
All employers have a Handshake profiles and can be accessed on the 2021 Minnesota Education Job Fair page. Use the "Favorite Employer" feature to save your target employers for quick access later.
Registering and signing up for sessions:
Prior to signing up for sessions with employers, you must be registered for the fair. For details on this process, please see Signing up For Virtual Fair Sessions
To sign up for Group or 1:1 session(s), you may be prompted to update your profile privacy setting. We recommend using "Community" to make the most of your Handshake experience as this will allow you to participate in all fair sessions and engage with other students/alumni!
For more information on profile privacy, please see Profile Privacy Options in Handshake.
Review which employers are attending the fair (follow employers of interest). XPD encourages you to meet with at least one employer that you are unfamiliar with to explore new possibilities for job options. You'll be able to sign up for sessions up to one (1) minute before the start time; once the session has started, the session is closed, and you'll be unable to sign up.
Preparing for the fair
Here are the next steps to help you prepare for a successful fair:
- Ensure you have the right setup to support your audio (required) and video (optional). Handshake Video Requirements & Troubleshooting (Students)
- If you have not already complete/update your profile and upload a resume within Handshake. Did you know that you can Build your Profile from Resume?
- Execute company exploration and research.
- Create your own list of targeted companies. We recommend keeping the list manageable and being thorough in your research. This will enable you to have stellar talking points during potential conversations.
- Use the XPD Canvas page to access Career Fair Prep material
- Check out Handshake’s blog post for more tips on how to stand out in a virtual fair!
Participating in the fair
All sessions will have the option for Handshake video, audio, and text-based chat. There is no customization for types of interaction; it is up to the employer and student joining the session to determine how they would like to connect.
Please note: For group sessions, Handshake will automatically disable audio/video for participants when 15 or more people are registered - this is to preserve your audio, video, and screen-sharing quality! Please click on the Raise Hand icon to ask employers questions.
See details on day-of participation in Participating in a Virtual Fair.
If you are signed up for the session successfully, you will be able to launch video at any point after the session has started. We want you to feel as safe as possible while attending virtual fairs and interacting with employers, so we've taken several steps to ensure your safety. Read more about these steps in Reporting an Issue at a Virtual Fair.
Maximize Your Efforts:
If you would like assistance with your cover letter or resume, the Experience & Professional Development (XPD) Career Ambassadors are here to help. Click here to visit their virtual drop-in hours Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm & Wednesday nights from 6 pm – 9 pm.
Some employers will be accepting resumes and cover letters prior to the Fair indicating your interest in a particular position. Take advantage of this opportunity to correspond and get your name in front of the recruiter with your customized correspondence. Before the fair, you will want to have your resume uploaded in Handshake as another method to link quality candidates with quality employers. Employers can view resumes and arrange pre-select interviews with candidates based on your Fair resume or on your customized correspondence sent prior to the Fair.
Consider attending the virtual Central Minnesota Education Job Fair on March 24, 2021 from 4-6 pm
This event will be most beneficial for aspiring teachers who are licensed or will be eligible for licensure spring 2021 or summer as a number of our districts will be hiring for the 2021-22 school year.