- Studio One accepts poetry, prose, short stories, essays, and artwork (that is reproducible in our print journal format).
- All sumbissions are judged anonymously. You do not need to be affiliated with CSB/SJU to submit.
- We only accept original and previously unpublished work.
- You may submit up to five pieces per reading period. Poems shorter than 75 lines are more likely to be accepted. Please keep prose under 2,000 words. There is not a submission fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided that Studio One is notified, immediately, upon a piece's acceptance elsewhere.
Email: [email protected]
Mary Commons, College of Saint Benedict
37 South College Avenue
St. Joseph, MN 56374
Deadline: January 31
Reading and judging period is between October and February. Results will be sent by May.
The Wagner Berger Prize for Excellence in Creative Writing
Each year, Studio One proudly publishes the Wagner Berger Prize-winning essay. Founded in 1987 by Patricia Berger Porcello and her husband Leonard Porcello in honor of Ms. Berger Porcello's parents, the Louise A. and Mary Wagner Berger Memorial Prize for Excellence in Creative Writing awards $1,000 scholarship to the finest work of short fiction by a College of Saint Benedict student (1,000-2,000 words). The Wagner Berger Prize is the first award of its kind at Saint Benedict's, and each year encourages young women to explore the art of the short story and the discipline of Creative Writing as a whole.
Wagner Berger submissions are open only to CSB students. Entries are due in January. Students should watch their email for more information sent out each year, or contact Rachel Marston or Matt Callahan with questions.