Student Instructions for Web Time Entry
- Accessing Banner Web Self Service
- Accessing Electronic Time Sheet
- Entering Hours
- Submitting Time
- Printer Friendly Version of Student Instructions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to CSB/SJU homepage: http://www.csbsju.edu
- Choose Tools
- Choose Banner Self Service
- Click on appropriate link
- After accessing Banner Self Service
- Access “Employee”
- Choose “Time Sheet”
- Choose the time sheet that you want to record hours on
- Click “Time Sheet”
- Click “Enter Hours” next to “Regular Earnings” on a day that you want to record hours
- Enter the number of hours you worked that day and click “Save”
- Click “Next” to progress through the weeks
- Important: Do not use the internet explorer forward and back buttons when using web time entry; this causes errors. Instead use the menu options in Banner Self Service.
- Please Note: Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour
At the end of the month, remember to submit time; you will not be able to edit your hours after you have submitted your time.
- Examples: 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1½ = 1.5; 1¾ = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
Must be submitted by “Submit By Date” at top of time sheet
- After you have entered all of your hours for the entire month click “Submit for Approval”
- The top of your time sheet should now say “Your time sheet was submitted successfully.”
- If you find a mistake in your time sheet, after submission, and wish to make changes, click "Return Time", make changes, and re-submit
Your time sheet is now waiting for approval from your supervisor; the bottom of your time sheet shows when you submitted it, who has approved it, and who has not yet approved it.
- Why isn't my timesheet available?
- Do I need to enter hours on each day?
- I have two "Enter Hours" options on each day, how do I know which one to record time in?
- I've entered my time for today and want to save my timesheet so that I can enter hours again later in the month. How do I save my timesheet?
- How should I round my hours when I am entering them on my timesheet?
- I have two jobs, how do I go back and enter time for the second job without using the internet explorer forward and back buttons?
- Why can't I use the internet explorer forward and back buttons?
- Why can I view my timesheet, but not edit the hours?
- What should I do if I have already submitted my time, but my hours need to be changed?
- How can I check to see if my supervisor has approved my time?
There are four reasons that your timesheet may not be available for you to enter hours:
- The CSB/SJU Student Employment Office has not received an approved Notification of Hiring (NOH) form for your position. If you have not completed an NOH please do so as soon as possible.
- You have recently completed the NOH form. It will take a few days for the student employment office to get your position set up.
- You are missing required payroll forms. The student employment office must have the following payroll forms on file before your timesheet is set up:
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- Student Employment Contract
- W-4 Tax Withholding Form
- Direct Deposit Form
- Your department does not use web time entry. There are a handful of departments on campus who do not use web time entry; most of these departments use punch cards instead. If you use a punch card to record time you will not have an electronic timesheet.
If none of these reasons pertain to you, please contact the student employment office and we will check into why your timesheet is not yet available.
No, you should only enter hours on the days that you worked. You should not enter zeros on the days that you do not work.
The top "Enter Hours" option on each day is for regular time and the bottom "Enter Hours" option is for overtime. You should only enter hours in overtime if you have worked over forty hours in one week (Sunday-Saturday).
I've entered my time for today and want to save my timesheet so that I can enter hours again later in the month. How do I save my timesheet?
By clicking the "Save" button when you entered your time you have already saved your timesheet. You can either click "Exit" on the top right corner of Banner Web Self Service, or close the Internet Explorer Window to close your timesheet. The information you entered will still be there the next time you log in.
Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour. Examples:
- 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1 hour and 30 minutes = 1.5; 1 hour and 45 minutes = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and record 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
I have two jobs, how do I go back and enter time for the second job without using the internet explorer forward and back buttons?
On the bottom left corner of your timesheet choose the "Position Selection" button. This will bring you back to the screen where you choose a timesheet.
Using the forward and back buttons on internet explorer can put your timecard in an "Error" status. Using the forward and back buttons seem to confuse the program because it is unsure of whether you want to undo what you just did (enter time, etc.) of if you want to go back to the previous screen. It is best to use the menu options in Banner Web Self Service to navigate.
There are two reasons that you may not be able to edit the hours: 1. You have already submitted your timesheet for approval or 2. It is past the Submit By Date for the timesheet.
After you have submitted your time for approval you can no longer edit the hours. There are two ways you can tell if you have submitted your time for approval:
- When you go to choose your timesheet it will say Pending behind the dates that the timesheet is for. This means that your timesheet is waiting for approval from your supervisor. If you would like to edit your submitted hours, click "Return Time" at the bottom of the timecard. Please remember to re-submit once changes have been made.
- When you are in your timesheet there is a Routing Qeue section that includes information about when your timesheet was started, submitted, approved, etc. In this section if there is an action that states Submitted with a date behind it, this means that your timesheet has been submitted.
After the Submit By Date on the top of your timesheet has passed you will no longer be able to edit your timesheet. At this point the student employment office is too far in the payroll process to accept any changes. You must submit your timesheet before the Submit By Date date to have your hours paid with the correct payroll.
There are two ways that your time can be changed after you have submitted it to your supervisor.
- Click "Return Time" at the bottom on your timecard. This will allow you to edit hours you have submitted for approval, or add/subtract hours on your timecard. This option is best when only a couple of changes need to be made to your timesheet. You will need to submit your timecard again.
- Your supervisor can change the time before he/she approves it. You will need to contact your supervisor with information about what needs to be changed.
- Your supervisor can choose to return the timesheet to you for correction. Then you will again be able to edit the timesheet, and you will need to submit the timesheet for approval again. This is option is best when you need to make many changes to your timesheet. You will need to contact your supervisor and ask him/her to return the timesheet to you for correction. Supervisors can find information about how to return a timesheet for correction in the Supervisor Frequently Asked Questions section.
There are two ways you can tell if your timesheet has been approved:
- When you go to choose your timesheet it will say Approved behind the dates that the timesheet is for. This means that your timesheet has been approved by your supervisor.
- When you are in your timesheet there is a Routing Qeue section that includes information about when your timesheet was started, submitted, approved, etc. In this section if there is an action that states Approved with a date behind it, this means that your timesheet has been approved by your supervisor.