Adjunct Professor of Theology
B.A., State University of New York at Plattsburgh, 1977
Office: Luke Hall 202
Area of Focus
- Ministerial Formation, Practical Theology, Church Ministry, Leadership Development, Visio Divina, The Saint John’s Bible
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- I direct the Field Education and Ministerial Formation program, utilizing a learner-centered pedagogy. This focuses attention on what the ministerial student is learning in the practice of ministry and peer opportunities for students to theologically reflect on those practices and learning. This provides opportunities for ministerial students to gain ministerial competencies and confidence over the degree program as they prepare for church ministry. I bring a lens to teaching and formation through the lifecycle of the minister, family of origin, use of power and authority, leadership, community, ministerial context, tradition, scripture, practices of ministry and ministerial experience. My experience in parish ministry, diocesan ministry, and chaplaincy serve as my context for ministerial preparation. Here at the SOT I have worked with the curriculum development of The Saint John’s Bible, Lifelong Learning and Economic Challenges Facing Future Church Ministers.
- Sadlier Religion, “Professional Development Essays for Elementary Curriculum Believe Celebrate, Live: Lectio Divina and Visio Divina”, New York, 2016
- Illuminating Ministry Journal, Vol. 3, co-editor with Victor Klimoski, Liturgical Press, 2014
- Seeing the Word, Reflection Guides, editor, Liturgical Press, 2011-2012
- Seeing the Word Facilitator Manual, Liturgical Press, 2011
- Illuminating Ministry Journal, Vol. 2, co-editor with Victor Klimoski, Liturgical Press, 2011
- “Challenges in Transition in into Ministry”, Human Development, Vol 31, No. 2, Summer 2010
- Illuminating Ministry Journal, Vol. 1, Ch. 8, Conversatio, editor: Victor Klimoski, Liturgical Press, 2010
- “Parents as Primary Catechist”, Faith Works, Paulist Press, March 2003
- “The Discernment of Gift”, Parish Works, Paulist Press, November 2003
Member, Diocese of St. Cloud Deacon Advisory Committee
Member, Saint John’s Seminary Advisory Council
Consultant to the Diocesan Planning Committee
Association for Graduate Programs in Ministry
Served as Vice President, President and Past President 2014-2016)
Catholic Association for Theological Field Education
Leadership Committee, 2013-2016
Association for Theological Field Education
Planning Committee for Biennial Meeting, 2017
Vice President, 2017-
- “Community and Collaboration”, Conference for Pastoral Planning and Council Development, Kansas City, MO April 2017
- Parish Mission, Lumen Christi Catholic Church, St. Paul, MN March 2017
- “Seeing Mercy”, Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee, Diocesan Ministry Day keynote, September, 2016
- “The Woman Caught in Adultery”, Alumni Group, Louvain University, June 2016
- “Ministry through the Lifecycle”, “Seeing the Word”, and “Seeing Mercy”, Diocese of Hamilton, ON May 2016
- “Seeing Mercy”, Saint William’s Catholic Church, Naples, Fl, January 2016
- “Visio Divina: A Prayer Practice for Encountering God,” Continuing Education for Pastors, Bethany College, WV March 2014
- “Illuminating Ministry: Forming Spiritual Companioning Groups,” ATFE Biennial Meeting, 2013
- “Visio Divina: A Prayer Practice for Encountering God,” Archdiocese of Santa Fe, October 2013
- “Self-Assessment of Ministerial Student’s Readiness for Ministry: The Learning Portfolio”, AGPIM Conference, Tucson, AZ 2011
- "Visio Divina: A Prayer Practice for Encountering God,” LA Congress, 2011
- “Lay Ecclesial Ministers in Transition,” National Association Lay Ministers, 2009 (co-presented with Genevieve Mougey
- “Parish as Curriculum,” and “Spirituality of Decision Making,” Diocese of St. Cloud Ministry Day, September, 2008.
- “Preparing Children and Parents for the Reception of Sacraments,” Diocese of Fairbanks, September, 2008.
- “Lifelong Catechesis,” Diocese of Gallup, May, 2008.
- “Marketing Your Lay Ministry Programs” NALM Conference, April 2008.
- “Sharing the Vision—Engaging the Parish Staff,” and “Spirituality and Decision-Making,” Living the Vision: A National Forum on Pastoral Planning, Brooklyn, New York, January 18-20, 2008.
- “Sharing the Vision,” CPPCD Certificate Program, Collegeville, MN August, 2008.
- “Pastoral Implications of International Priest,” Pastoring in Today’s Parish Symposium, Baltimore, MD, February 7-9, 2007.
- "Competencies of Effective Planners,” CPPCD 34th International Convention, Pittsburgh, PA, April 16, 2007.
- Co-workers in the Vineyard: Words and Images of Lay Ecclesial Ministers, Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology March 2017
- Co-workers in the Vineyard: Words and Images of Lay Ecclesial Ministers, Norbertine Spirituality Center, Green Bay, WI September 2016
- Co-workers in the Vineyard: Words and Images of Lay Ecclesial Ministers, Benedictine Center, St. Paul, MN April, 2016
- Seeing Mercy, Saint William Catholic Church, Naples, FL January, 2016
- I Am….A Soulful Reflection, Archdiocese of Minneapolis-Saint Paul Youth Ministers Association, March 2016
- Seeing the Word and guest homilist, Disciples of Christ Church, Boulder, CO November 2015
- Interfaith Prayer Service and Seeing the Word Retreat, University of Mary, Calgary, AB, March 2014
- Seeing the Word, Diocese of Phoenix, AZ May, 2014
- Imaging God, Benedictine Center, St. Paul, MN March, 2015
- Praying with Imagination, Saint John’s Abbey Guesthouse, Summer 2010-2015