Adjunct Professor of Theology, Director Youth in Theology and Ministry, Director Lilly Youth Theology Network
B.A., Saint John's University, 1977
Office: Emmaus Hall 112
Areas of Teaching and Research
- Jeffrey Kaster’s teaching and research has focused on effective practices of evangelizing youth and young adults and fostering missionary discipleship. Two primary questions have focused his research: What is working? What does working mean?
- The Youth in Theology and Ministry program and the Lilly Youth Theology Network has served as a laboratory for research and practice in fostering excitement for theological learning and vocational discernment in the young church.
- He teaches practical theology courses in evangelization, Christian education, campus ministry, and youth ministry.
- Jeffrey Kaster has served as director of the Youth in Theology and Ministry program at Saint John’s School of Theology and Seminary in Collegeville, Minnesota, since 2000 and as coordinator of the Lilly Youth Theology Network since 2013. Jeff has a master’s degree in theology from Saint John’s University and a doctorate in education from the University of Minnesota.
- Kaster, Jeffrey J. “How to empower youth to do theology.” Faith & Leadership, Duke Divinity School, January 24, 2017. https://www.faithandleadership.com/jeffrey-kaster-how-empower-youth-do-theology/.
- Kaster, Jeffrey J. “Beyond an ‘either/or’ Christianity.” Princeton Theological Seminary, The Institute for Youth Ministry, January 24, 2017. http://iym.ptsem.edu/beyond-either-or-christianity/.
- Kaster, Jeffrey J. “Beyond an ‘either/or’ Christianity (Part Two).” Princeton Theological Seminary, The Institute for Youth Ministry, January 31, 2017. http://iym.ptsem.edu/beyond-an-either-or-christianity-2/.
- “Assessing Christian Discipleship Formation in Catholic Youth Ministry,” October 2008.
- “Beyond the Spiritual Roller Coaster: Sustaining Missionary Discipleship through Theology,” 2016 National Conference on Catholic Youth Ministry, San Jose, California.
- “A doormat is not a symbol of Christian Leadership,” Professional Development Series 2012-13, Youth Ministry Network, St. Paul and Minneapolis.
- “What’s working in Adolescent Catechesis?” National Catholic Education Associate National Conference, New Orleans 2011.
- National Association for Lay Ecclesial Ministry
- Religious Education Association
- Youth Ministry Network, Minneapolis and Saint Paul
- Chair, Lilly Youth Theology Network Think Tank on Evaluation, 2015-present
- Princeton Theological Seminary Youth Theology Research Group, 2012-2015