Online Program of Volunteers
Study & Serve
Saint John's School of Theology and Seminary recognizes that volunteer service leads to deep discernment about how we fit into the world and what we can do to help make it a better place. This program supports volunteers in service by walking along your service journey with you and introducing you to volunteers in other service organizations. It provides course content that will help you navigate and reflect on your experience in volunteer ministry at the margins of society.
- 10 scholarships are available to fund the tuition for 3 credits of graduate coursework, to give 10 volunteers a head start on grad school.
- Books and fees are not included in the scholarships for this program.
- Estimated out-of-pocket cost: $135.00-$165.00.
- Scholarship: $1200.00 (cost of tuition for 3 graduate level credits.)
- This course is intentionally designed to begin after volunteers have gotten settled into their roles and to wrap up well before the conclusion of the year of service.
Ministry on the Margins
Barbara Sutton | PTHM 468 03A | 3 graduate credits | October - January
This course introduces the practices of discipleship for a church that cares for at-risk communities. The Joy of the Gospel (Pope Francis) will shape the essential lens to view, understand and ultimately respond to the context in which students serve. It will explore foundational values of justice and love necessary for missionary activity, provide tools to advocate for the 'least of these' and build communities of hope. Spiritual tools to sustain the person ministering at margin will be explored.
- Step 1: Submit a registration form by August 24, 2018 Volunteer Application Form
- Step 2: Ask your volunteer program director to submit a letter of support using this form: Letter of Support from Director
Past participants have come from these volunteer service organizations:
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest
- Lutheran Volunteer Corps (Mpls/St. Paul)
- Mercy Works
- Cabrini Volunteers
- Benedictine Volunteer Corps
- Franciscan Volunteers
- Boys Hope Girls Hope
- Missionaries of the Assumption
Please Join Us!
My name is Taylor and I am currently serving as a Youth Minister through Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest. When I first heard about this program, I was excited for the unique opportunity to integrate the material we covered in class to my ministry. The material covered, the discussions, and the reflections have enriched my year. This class helped me be intentional in the way that I served and to grow as a minister. I have enjoyed learning more about pastoral ministry and implementing what I have learned at my service site.